Saturday, May 31: Umrathshausen - Traunstein: Lakeview. Alpview. Sunnyside up. - Achtung Baby: Bavaria with a GPS & Some Great Canadian Gear (Tour 13) - 2014 🇩🇪 🇦🇹 🇨🇭 - CycleBlaze

May 31, 2014

Saturday, May 31: Umrathshausen - Traunstein: Lakeview. Alpview. Sunnyside up.

I peeked outside at 4 am to a starry evening with a glow in the clear sky to the east. Hurray!

At 7 am it was bright and sunny, so feeling a wee bit giddy, I zipped down for breakfast, today concentrating mostly on fruit. I need a break from the pork, cheese and bread.

Just before 9 am we set out into the 10C morning which started with a really steep descent. Cold. The hills rolled again, but this time we had excellent views of the Alps to the south. Many stops for photo moments. Then there was the Chiemsee stretched out before us. Very beautiful.

Our route took us way down into the flatlands south of the lake. We had forced the gps to go close to the lake but it was beside the autobahn so was as attractive as the QEW in Mississauga. Not very, that means. Fortunately when we veered away from the highway and upwards, it improved. We came around one corner, ending up in a small town's morning market. Meats. Cheeses. Wines. Pastries. Traditonal garb. Music. We had to stop for a few pastries. I ended up taking a photo of a little girl and her Grandma who worked in the stall and had served me. They both seemed pleased and granted me permission to post it online.

Somehow it was possible that the route became even more beautiful, though more climby-wimby as well. Traunstein found us, so we rolled into the centre then found room in the second hotel we tried. The Rosenheimer hof.

Next for a meander into the town centre which is just down the road from here.

Might have sampled a dunkel in the town centre at the brauhof. The church bells pieled... three o'clock? A cacophony of bells clanging, banging and bonging; clinging, donging, and billabonging. Impressive, indeed. When we had wandered into that same church we noticed a section commemmorating Pope Benedict. On our walk back to the hotel we passed Pope Benedict square. Something tells me he came from here. Must Google this at some point.

Another point of sugary interest. After having been introduced to Milcha bars some years ago, I may have stumbled upon a grocery store. And happened to walk in. And happened to purchase a Milcha caramel bar. It might have been as delicious as ever and stirred the memories of how delicious!

We did return back to the hotel for a wee bit of relaxation.

The Italian restaurant downstairs, part of our hotel, served up a nice pasta supper. I was comfortably full so incredibly I had no dessert, but the other guys had a choco mousse dessert of some sort that was very attractively presented.

And that's all he wrote.

Perfect morning for a bicycle ride
Heart 0 Comment 0
Starting off with a climb before we get to the lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A few magical tunnels
Heart 0 Comment 0
Then there is the lake in all of its splendour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And what a fast descent to the lake it was
Heart 0 Comment 0
As we left the lake area we stumbled upon a small village market
Heart 0 Comment 0
Grabbed a few artsy photos at the village market
Heart 0 Comment 0
Didn't grab any wine but people were happily sampling the nectar in the village square. How are they able to do it, yet in nanny-province Ontario our laws prevent all manner of such activities? Can we not implement a REsponsibility-For-Self (to invent an abbreviation, a REFS) law?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Grandma and Grand-daughter were serving up sweet pastries (I asked permission to post the photo online)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Right at the square was this attractive bar and restaurant
Heart 0 Comment 0
And back to the rolling hills of Bavaria on a sunny and warm weekend afternoon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Through another magical tunnel
Heart 0 Comment 0
To a town with a larger centre square with towers and...
Heart 0 Comment 0
... restaurants serving all manner of goodies...
Heart 0 Comment 0
... including three thirsty Canadian cyclists.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A town from whence came a recent Pope. A town that served Milka bars to same Canadian cyclists. This time hungry for a sweet snack.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 36 km (22 miles)
Total: 579 km (360 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0