Why Europe Again? - All Roads Lead to Italy - CycleBlaze

June 29, 2018

Why Europe Again?

For the people we meet of course!

We always take business cards which serve to introduce us and provide the web address of our journal. It is a good icebreaker, especially when language is a challenge. We met the young man on a train in the Czech Republic
Heart 1 Comment 0

This will be our sixth trip to Europe in as many years. Why do we keep returning year after year? Well, it's simple - the infrastructure for cycling is excellent, the food, beer and bakeries are to die for, people are welcoming and friendly and the attractions (as well as small villages off the beaten path) are so interesting.

We love returning to Europe for the great coffee and the bakeries
Heart 1 Comment 0
We love camping on our trips in the spacious comfort of our Hilleberg tent.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We meet many friendly people on the bike routes of Europe
Heart 1 Comment 0
We enjoy staying at canoe and rowing clubs along German waterways. Most towns and cities have a canoe or rowing club where you can camp or stay in a room in their Clubhouse for a very reasonable fee
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltGreat idea to be able to stay in a canoe or rowing clubhouse! Is it like a youth hostel?
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
In Germany the Italian Elis Cafes produce delicious freshly made gelato icecream.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The best beer in the world keeps bringing us back
Heart 0 Comment 0

For the cyclist, Europe has invested much money on trails, great cycling maps which feature bike friendly accommodation, camping and services, and regional trains many of which allow you to wheel your bike onto a special car with you.  It is a joy to ride where the local culture supports and is a participant in cycling as a way of life. When new roads are built it is a given that bike paths will be part of the plan. When will we in North America ever catch up and understand the wisdom of this direction? 

The signposting for cyclists is amazing all over Europe
Heart 1 Comment 0

 Long distance cycling routes with excellent signposting are typical in countries like Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands. Also, there are 15 Eurovelo routes which extend all over Europe and continue to grow. For example, on out first trip, we rode the Eurovelo 6 route, which goes from Nantes on the Atlantic coast of France following the Loire R, then the Danube R and culminating at the Black Sea in Romania

One thing that we don't enjoy about Europe are the pesky gates on some of the bike paths. Thankfully, they aren't frequent and they do keep motorized vehicles off the route.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We have many favourites - Holland is truly exceptional. Bikes rule in the Netherlands! France offers the best in pastries, inexpensive municipal campgrounds in most towns, bike mad locals (it's a fond memory, struggling up a hill on our loaded tandem and hearing kids chanting in support, "Tour de France"! or riding through a small village and the locals stand to clap and cheer us on.)

We go to Europe for the opportunity to see amazing artwork
Heart 0 Comment 0

A number of years ago, we met a family of cyclists from Germany while camping on the Rhine River. As so often happens, we started conversing about bikes - in this case, we were all riding recumbent bikes.It was so exciting to meet others who ride these strange bikes! The Reitz family invited us to visit them on their farm near Limburg on the Lahn, and as the expression goes, "the rest is history". This chance encounter has led to a meaningful friendship and we now visit them each year and we leave our beloved tandem, Seavo, with them over the winter. Such are the joys of life on the road where the unexpected and anything can happen. 

Cora is an excellent cook, and we love visiting our friends in Germany.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Returning the next year Cora and Justus met us at the Frankfurt airport. Love your socks Cora!
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Reitz family live on a farm on the outskirts of a small village .It's time for the sheep to have their nails done.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are very fortunate that we can store our recumbent tandem with the Reitz family so that we don't have to fly every year with our bike. Barry is sadly saying goodbye to Seavo for another year.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Germany excels in the sheer volume of official bike routes throughout their country (we especially love the river routes). The cycling organization, ADFC is a valuable resource for maps and planning.  When combined with excellent beer, delicious ice cream, pastries and traditional food, Germany is a great choice for a bike tour.Being able to connect with people is what makes travelling slowly by bike truly special. Our tandem looks unusual and it often breaks the ice with strangers who will approach us to ask about our bike. We often reflect that we are so lucky to be able to experience the positive aspects of the world and its people as we travel. 

Out for a ride with our German friends, Georg and Cora.
Heart 0 Comment 0


Much of this year's route is going to be on Eurovelo 9, the Amber Route, which starts in Poland at the Baltic Sea to Croatia on the Adriatic Sea. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0