Trostberg to Rosenheim - All Roads Lead to Italy - CycleBlaze

September 24, 2017

Trostberg to Rosenheim

We are glad that we left the touristic Chiemsee and headed north to Trostberg for the night. This small Bavarian town was delightful and we loved the hotel. Today, we are heading on to Rosenheim, so we will reconnect with the Chiemsee and make our way across country to Rosenheim - and then we'll take the train back to Limburg. It is hard to believe that soon our cycling portion of our trip will be over. 

Mary Ellen loves maps and it is always good to get perspective with the GPS. As we are not on a cycling route, we are planning how to proceed as we make our way back to the Chiemsee and on to Rosenheim.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hotel Pfaubrau, established since the 15th century.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We enjoyed our stay in this small village away from the crowds of tourists on the Chiemsee. We were surprised at the high cost of accomodation by the lake, but it does make sense as the area is so close to Salzburg and Munich. We decided to head inland to Trostberg and we are glad we did. Hotel Postbrau offered incredible value, with great food in a restaurant filled with locals, excellent beer and a comfortable room.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The bar at Hotel Pfaubrau - here in Bavaria, beer is serious business, served with care and respect for its tradition.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We met Doris and her husband when we were preparing to leave. They live in Trostberg and were interested in our bike and travels. Their son had ridden from northern Sweden back to his home - over 3000 km - on his bike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Trostberg has many whimsical statues and sculptures - here are a few.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fall is in the air and it is also evident in the colourful ivy on this stone building.
Heart 1 Comment 0
More deer from the herd we have been watching - their antlers are amazing.
Heart 1 Comment 0
What a sight. This bull was quick to herd the group away from us. They obediently followed him, but their curiosity won out and they all turned to check us out.
Heart 1 Comment 0
What interesting looking animals these Brahman bulls are.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We couldn't resist stopping when we saw this very young Brahman calf. It was very curious about Barry and his camera.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lying in the field with the Brahma cattle was this emu curled up beside one of the cows. It looks like he is trying to tell us something.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Unlikely friends in the animal world are wonderful to see - sticking close but each respecting the other's space.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Can we be friends? A face and a stance that we won't forget.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We liked the historical painting of village life on the front of this Gasthof.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Bavaria, every town and village has a flag pole like this with the Bavarian flag at the top with wooden replicas of the crests of the comumnity, region and twinned communities, as well as wooden figures showing aspects of life in their town. This flagpole is in the community of Seebruck on the Chiemsee (Chiem Lake).
Heart 0 Comment 0
You can see the aspects of local life represented on the flag pole: butcher, baker, metalsmith, barkeep, etc.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We don't know the significance of this quirky character, but we saw others in its image in Trostberg as well.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chiemsee is a very popular destination due to its proximity to Salzburg and Munich. There is a bicycle route around the like - it is a good surface of well packed gravel and very busy - especially today as it is Sunday.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a great way to charge the battery of your e-bike. You can lock your bike battery in the locker while it charges and safely leave it while you have lunch or go sightseeing.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltEurope is WAY ahead of the U.S. as far as e-bike charging stations!!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
We didn't need to use this charging station, but we were very impressed with it. Akkurad set us up with such an incredible e-motor/battery with a huge range of up to 200 km (on flat terrain). On our trip, even through the mountains, we have never needed to charge the battery during the day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Chiemsee is a vast, beautiful lake, even on this cloudy day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The ducks have learned to beg from people sitting by the lake. Barry gently coaxed the ducks to return to the water and we took a photo of this duck who wasn't too impressed with us as we refused to share.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We took advantage of this platform to make our lunch and sit by the lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Radweg (bike route) around the Chiemsee.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Alpine homes are so beautiful with wonderful flowers cascading from the balcony and paintings decorating the exterior.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another view of the castle on the island.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have enjoyed riding on the cycle route along the north end of the lake. It is truly fall, with the coloured leaves falling and a crispness to the air. We like getting away from the crowded, tourist filled villages to the calm beauty of the trails.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Many people are out enjoying the day, walking and cycling.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What fun for hockey lovers like us to stumble on an ice hockey game. When we arrived in Rosenheim, we passed the Arena which is home to the Rosenheim Star Bulls. We couldn't resist, went in and watched part of a game with the Minor League teams from Rosenheim and Landshut. We talked to one of the fans and he told us that the NHL goalie, Phillipp Grubauer, is from Rosenheim and grew up playing in this arena.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 57 km (35 miles)
Total: 2,826 km (1,755 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0