Spittal an der Drau to Obervellach - All Roads Lead to Italy - CycleBlaze

September 18, 2017

Spittal an der Drau to Obervellach

Riding to the Foot of the Mountain

Today we have had a short ride to Obervellach, and for the first time in a number of days, we arrived at our destination before the rains started. At times the sun broke through and we saw blue sky!! Unfortunately, the heavy rain last night and the continuing unsettled weather have kept the mountains shrouded in cloud. Getting to see the full scope of these mountains is another reason to return and do this route again some day.  
Obervellach is set in the lush green valley of the river Moll and is surrounded on all sides by mountains, forest and farms perched up high. We decided to stay for two nights in this small, charming  village of 2000 residents. We need a rest day. Fighting the weather for the past 3 weeks has taken a toll. Plus, when we leave here we will be going to Mallnitz, which is a steep ride up from 600 to 1200 m over 8 km.  It will be better to do the ride when the weather improves on Wednesday. Tomorrow is predicted to be a very nasty day with heavy rain, etc.  
We have booked Gasthof Kirchenwirt, in the centre of the village. We are looking forward to waking up tomorrow and just relaxing.

Zoran was very welcoming when we arrived at the guesthouse looking like two drowned rats. He could see that we were in a bad way, so he wasted no time getting us in to our room and didn't want us to worry about the puddles we were leaving behind. We had a nice stay at the guesthouse - wonderful shower and very comfortable.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our guesthouse in Spittal an der Drau
Heart 0 Comment 0
We collect stickers for our computer and our bike. This motor home gives us inspiration
Heart 1 Comment 0
We went to a number of sports and bike shops in search of warmer and more waterproof gloves. We had given up and we headed out of town when we came upon an excellent store called, Giga Sports. We didn't get what we were looking for but the gloves are definitely an improvement. Barry thinks that he looks like a blue Spiderman.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We hope that in the next few days the weather will improve so that we can see the snow capped mountains that surround us.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We like the look of the barns in Austria
Heart 0 Comment 0
We came across a small deer farm
Heart 1 Comment 0
The train tracks are perched high up above the valley.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As we approached Obervellech we saw this interesting looking castle. It is called, Falkenstein. Later we asked about it at the tourist office. It is now privately owned and you are not allowed to visit it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Obervellech is a small town of about 2000 people situated in the Moll Valley. We are going to stay two nights here and then when the weather improves we will do the climb up to Mallnitz where we will take the Tauern auto-train though the mountain and emerge on the other side in Bad Gastein.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We went to the local grocery stores and bought dinner to eat in our guesthouse. We get the impression that on Mondays most restaurants and gasthofs are closed.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 32 km (20 miles)
Total: 2,576 km (1,600 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0