Riding into Vienna - All Roads Lead to Italy - CycleBlaze

August 18, 2017

Riding into Vienna

We only have about 30 km to ride to get into Vienna and we have decided to stay there for a few days. On our previous trip to Vienna, we camped in Klosterneuberg and took the train in to sightsee. We are looking forward to being in the city and hope to do some riding around Vienna. 
The weather continues to be extremely hot - the Hotel Rommerhof was very good value but without air conditioning, it was a challenge to sleep. 
Looking forward to the ride today and hopefully some cool breezes by the water.

Very good value and parking for our bike. There were many cyclists staying here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A hot, sultry day on the Danube.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This section of the Danube Cycle Route is like the Autobahn for cyclists.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The mighty Danube is a big river, with Cruise boats, working river boats and pleasure boats.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This old castle has been modernized and is privately owned.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were riding by this Textile Warehouse and decided to take a look. It is full to the rafters with bolts of fabric. In this area, I spotted this woman working, cutting fabric for customers. I have no idea how she got in there as she was completely blocked in by buggies and piles of fabric.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This huge facility has just about anything you could want if you were a seamstress, furniture upholsterer, etc. Fur pelts, leather, any kind of material is available. People were walking out with bolts of fabric.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a quirky place filled with all kinds of odds and ends - in sections, it is like a flea market of household items, school supplies, lingerie - you name it, it is probably there.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Klosterneuberg on the outskirts of Vienna. We stayed here 6 years ago and camped, which is quite convenient as the train is close by.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A new, huge bike store in Klosterneuberg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The future is here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oh yes, it is late afternoon and it is not cooling down.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding in Vienna, searching for our hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Julius Meinl is a quality upscale grocery shopping experience. It is wonderful to browse here and we picked up some food for dinner in our room.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Vienna is a magical place to visit by bike as one can ride down any street and see wonderful architecture.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We noticed a police presence and then along came a Critical Mass ride of cyclists who are advocating cycling and sharing the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many unique bikes and home made creations made the Critical Mass very interesting. We even saw recumbents in the group.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Even the dog was doing his best to make people see how much fun it is to ride a bike.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The people who do the horse drawn carriages tours were not impressed by the delay caused by the Critical Mass.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Austrian flag atop this beautiful detail on one of the museums.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We usually prefer villages and rural areas when riding, but Vienna offers so much. Wherever you happen to be in Vienna, there are incredible art galleries, museums and architecture to enjoy. It is interesting that we are enjoying Vienna more this trip as we are staying in the city and using our bike to sightsee. On foot, we got caught up more in the crowds of people.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the town hall, this giant movie screen is set up for a film festival throughout the summer.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 42 km (26 miles)
Total: 1,395 km (866 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0