Riding Back to Melk - All Roads Lead to Italy - CycleBlaze

August 16, 2017

Riding Back to Melk

Grein to Melk

Today was a slow day. Mary Ellen is suffering from a cold and I got stung by a wasp shortly after leaving Grein. We have learned long ago that when you are having a difficult day, just relax and go with it. 

We got a late start because we took the time to explore the wonderful theatre in Grein. It rained a little this morning but later it turned into a beautiful day.
On our first cycling trip to Europe six years ago we rode the Danube River route. One of the highlights was visiting the city of Melk. The abbey at Melk is a Unesco sight that is quite amazing. As you are riding on the Danube you can see from a distance perched on a hill. The abbey is massive. It has been described as "baroque gone balmy". We are looking forward to touring the abbey tomorrow.

We met this lovely couple, Elke and Christof, while having breakfast at our B&B. They are from Germany and told us that they had visited Thetis Island which is a very short distance from our island home on Saltspring Island.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We got one of the last rooms at this excellent guesthouse. When we arrived, it said Zimmer Frei (vacancy or room available), now that we have checked in, it shows "belegt" (occupied).
Heart 0 Comment 0
After an excellent breakfast we are ready to hit the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View of the palace in Grein
Heart 0 Comment 0
A lot of the cities and towns in this region have these cement walls surrounding them. In 2002 this region was badly flooded and as a result these flood walls were created.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The historic theatre in Grein which dates from 1791, and it is in the former Rathaus (Town Hall) from 1562. It is now a delightful museum.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Long ago people did not have tickets for the theatre instead they had a key that would unlock the seat so that it would fold down to sit on
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mary Ellen in the toilet at the Theatre. The drape for the toilet is a quirky detail of this wonderful historic theatre. If the person using the toilet heard something funny happening on stage, they could peak out and still have privacy.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As well as being a living museum, the theatre is still be used on a regular basis for plays
Heart 1 Comment 0
Napoleon once attended a play here and sat in this box
Heart 1 Comment 0
After the flood of 2002 musicians from the theatre had to take home the sheet music and dry it like laundry
Heart 0 Comment 0
Photos of the high water in 2002 that flooded Grein.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, that was a bad flood in Grein --
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
The town square in Grein - this small town is one of the small gems worth seeking out on the Danube.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We came across this cyclist who was taking the threat of rain very seriously
Heart 1 Comment 0
Crossing the Danube by ferry at Grein.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A full boat leaving Grein. The route doesn't continue on the Grein side of the river, so everybody has to cross over for this section.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a beautiful ride we had today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Coffee break on the Danube.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An eye catching advertisement for the bicycle museum in Ybbs.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Six years ago we visited this bicycle museum in Ybbs. Unfortunately it was closed for lunch, so we'll carry on.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The crest for the town of Ybbs on the town hall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the busiest time of the year on the Danube. Large groups of cyclists gather whenever there is a bakery. From August 15, almost everyone in Italy has their holidays and it seems like most of them are renting bikes and doing the Danube Bike route.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our first sight of the iconic Abbey in Melk.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We came across this strange sight (sculpture?) as we entered Melk
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 km (32 miles)
Total: 1,268 km (787 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0