Our Bike's First Experience with a Polish Train - All Roads Lead to Italy - CycleBlaze

August 2, 2017

Our Bike's First Experience with a Polish Train

We are checked out of our hotel and ready to roll
Heart 0 Comment 0

The train station at Nysa is very low key. When we asked the young woman at the ticket booth if it would be a problem getting on the train with our bike she said "you just get on the train, park your bike and you sit down ...no problem". I thought maybe there was a communication breakdown, so I asked again - "is it ok to take our big bike onto the train car, will there be room? are there steps to get into the train car? "- to which she replied very slowly..."you get on the train, park your bike and then sit down". and then she smiled reassuringly at me. Well, I felt a little foolish and thought that she must think that I am pretty thick. I  thanked her in Polish and made a quick exit. We have decided to ride the train to Brzeg to test the compatibility of Seavo and a Polish train. Brzeg sounds interesting, so we can explore another Polish community and then ride the 50-60 km to Wroclaw. One last ride in Poland.

After purchasing our tickets we had a 3 hour wait.We headed back to the milk bar for lunch. So far, we have been impressed by the trains in Poland - modern cars with good access and they run on time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A mural in the Nysa train station
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had some time to kill before our train, so we went for one last ride around Nysa, returned to the Milk Bar for lunch and were able to explore the Cathedral, St. Jacob and Agnes. We have been here 3 days and have been unable to take a good look as there are services happening frequently. People of all ages appear to us to still be very connected to church as a part of their daily life. We had been wanting to return here as our glimpse of this huge understated church revealed some notable art, beautiful stained glass and a serene feeling.

Two types of perogies- Russian and cabbage. Borscht soup with a hard boiled egg
Heart 0 Comment 0
The sheer size of this cathedral is quite overwhelming, and is enhanced by the simplicity of its design with mammoth brick columns. soaring ceiling height and beautiful details. This is looking back at the entrance as well as the gallery with the pipe organ.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A close up view of one of the series of plaster painted images along the railing in front of the organ.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The stained glass windows in this cathedral were really lovely - recently added in 2000.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The altar at St Jacob and Agnes - beautiful but not overpowering. The scale of the building, the feeling of serenity and simple details are what draw you in
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another beautiful, modern piece of stained glass - stunning up close.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The banners behind the altar are commemorating the 700th anniversary of the church.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry caught on camera strolling outside of the cathedral, waiting for Mary Ellen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Outside the cathedral. St Jacob and Agnes church was consecrated in 1198 and was completed in 1401-30. It was destroyed in 1945 and rebuilt in 1947-58.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heading for the train station down the boulevard in front of our hotel. Hotel Piast is on the right at the end of the street and the impressive tower is adjacent to it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the first Polish train ride for Seavo.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are very relieved to find that this regional train is spacious for bikes. It is a small two carriage train with half of this car reserved for bikes, baby carriages and travellers with handicaps. Luckily the train wasn't busy.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have arrived in Brzeg
Heart 0 Comment 0
The woman at the hotel, Villa Romeo, recommended this restaurant which she said is the best place in town for beer and Polish food - especially perogies. What more incentive do we need? We share perogies stuffed with spinach and feta cheese and a yummy salad with of course...Polish beer.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0