Let It Rain..... - All Roads Lead to Italy - CycleBlaze

September 19, 2017

Let It Rain.....

We are happily ensconced in the comfort of a traditional Austrian alpine style guesthouse with a view of a bit of the mountains, but mostly low lying clouds. It is a lazy type of day...reading, working on the journal, enjoying the hospitality of our guesthouse with a good breakfast and just generally hanging out. Our big ambition of the day is to wander around the village later, get some groceries and visit the Tourist Info a few blocks away. 
We had inquired yesterday about visiting the Groggenstein waterfall with a walk organized by the Tourist Office, but due to the inclement weather, they won't be doing the tour today.
We are very happy with Gasthof Kirchenwirt. Our hosts speak no English, but this doesn't prevent them from being wonderful hosts. Our room is incredibly spacious with a large sitting area and comfortable furnishings. It is easy to relax here and look out the large picture window.

Gasthof Kirchenwirt - our home for two nights
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Obervellech is surrounded by high mountain peaks.Tomorrow we will ride up to left towards Mallnitz.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A rushing mountain stream in the village
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the road that we take up to Mallnitz and the auto-train. The ride will average about 12% over 8 kilometres.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Austrian coffee is excellent. We had lunch in a local bakery. We shared a delicious salami,tomato, pesto, mozzarella hot sandwich. But we didn't share one piece of cake as planned....
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mary Ellen had good intentions of only getting one piece of cake. Instead, she came back with two. A German customer and the owner said that we had to try two of the most traditional Austrian cakes. They were delicious!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Some of the snow covered mountains that we can see from Obervellach. We found it pretty chilly walking around today. The forecast is for a low of -4 C. for tonight.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the scene in the hallway outside of our room at the guesthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0