Getting our Bike Repaired at Akkurad - All Roads Lead to Italy - CycleBlaze

Getting our Bike Repaired at Akkurad

Our new battery is being wired so that it will fit in one of our panniers. An up side of needing to replace a defective battery is that we now have a simpler set up with one battery, one charger and an inconspicuous place to store it on the bike. At the end of the day, we simply remove the pannier and carry it to our room.

We are back at camp and very happy that our bike is ready for the open roadWell, the day is finally here. We have made it to Akkurad.
During this "adventure" of coming to terms with our e-bike breaking down, we have had many doubts....Did we make a big and costly mistake fitting Seavo with a motor? Is our bike and load too heavy? Did we do something wrong to make it stop working? What will we do next? Should we choose an easier route? In the midst of this, Barry's mom had a slight health issue - should we just go home?
Well, first of all, Barry's mom is now ok and that is the most important thing.
Then we decided to see a bit more of Poland, riding to Wroclaw and staying there a few days - a very good decision. And then we came up with the plan to return to Akkurad. Oussama and Jorg at Akkurad have been with us all the way in continual phone and email support. They would have sent us the parts we need and offered to talk the local mechanic through the process on a conference call.
The one thing that was clear to us was that we wanted to make the trek back to the guys at Akkurad who had done the original work. They are experts in the world of converting bikes to electric and we trust them completely. It made sense to us to go back and ensure that our bike and motor were ok. In the midst of our confusion of what to do and second guessing our decision to convert our bike, both of us never doubted that it was the right thing to return to Akkurad.
So, we are excited to make the 2 km ride to see them and get our bike working again.

Our Bafang 8Fun electric motor being taken apart so that a new controller can be installed
Heart 0 Comment 0
As you can see the repair job needs efficient teamwork, Jorg and Houssem doing the work plus an interested stoker ("rear admiral" according to Barry) who is trying to learn from the experts.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Akkurad is working on this velomobile for a customer. It is one of the world's fastest velomobiles.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of our batteries is defective and will not charge. In fact after 8 hours of charging the battery was dead. The boys at Akkurad spent 7 hours problem solving and working on our bike. At one point they had tried two new different batteries but they wouldn't fit on the bike. Finally, this battery was chosen. It is the same power as our two old batteries and it is enclosed in a waterproof Pelican case. It will fit in one of our panniers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
All over Germany you will see signs in bathrooms displaying correct toilet etiquette.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Jorg is going to spend his two week holiday in Berlin helping 30 disabled riders on a bicycle tour. All the riders will be riding the trike that Mary Ellen is test riding. It is a Russian designed trike that is now being made in the United States. It is called the Anthrotech.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mary Ellen had a blast test riding the electric assisted Anthrotech Trike
Heart 0 Comment 0
While we were at Akkurad a man drove up in his tiny electric car. Unfortunately this car is not good for winter driving as there are no side windows.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is a poster at Akkurad of the Spezi Festival that is held every year in Germersheim, Germany. We have always wanted to attend the Spezi(special bikes)festival as it is the penultimate destination for lovers of all things wild and wonderful in the recumbent world. Akkurad was one of the orginal organizers of the event years ago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our new battery is being wired so that it will fit in one of our panniers. An up side of needing to replace a defective battery is that we now have a simpler set up with one battery, one charger and an inconspicuous place to store it on the bike. At the end of the day, we simply remove the pannier and carry it to our room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Houssem rides to work in this beautiful velomobile
Heart 1 Comment 0
Check out what's "under the hood"!
Heart 0 Comment 0
org on the left and the "genius mechanic" Houssem is in the middle and you know the third member of the team on the far right, a wannabe apprentice.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Houssem heading home after a busy day working on our bik
Heart 0 Comment 0
After too many train trips to count Seavo and Buster the Bear are ready to hit the road
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jorg is also heading home. Probably very tired after painstakingly helping us all day with our problems and communicating in his second language of English. We are grateful to Jorg for his commitment and caring for us and for doing such a good job.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are back at camp and very happy that our bike is ready for the open road
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltBoy, you all had quite the long haul to get back to that bike shop that could help you!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Our view from our campsite
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 15 km (9 miles)
Total: 1,018 km (632 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0