Exploring Erfurt - All Roads Lead to Italy - CycleBlaze

July 15, 2017

Exploring Erfurt

We are very happy with our spacious, comfortable and quiet apt. at Hotel Lindeneck.  We prefer that it is out of the busy centre and an easy 3 km ride from the train station. Riding our big rig and trailer in Erfurt is pleasant and uncomplicated with wide streets, good signage and bike lanes everywhere. A Rewe supermarket is a close walk from our apt - we highly recommend where we are staying.

The city of Erfurt has a graceful charm with an unhurried pace. Despite its size, it did not feel like a big city. The many waterways, including this photo of the Wera River which runs through town, add to the tranquility and beauty of Erfurt.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not sure what this creature is - he seems to be a kind of mascot for Erfurt as we saw small ones for sale as souvenirs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had a wonderful day of sightseeing - so much to look at and admire its beauty and historical significance
Heart 0 Comment 0

Erfurt has an impressive historic centre with beautifully maintained buildings, an impressive Dom with a 6 hectare square, a Fortress atop the hill giving an outstanding view of the city and countryside and many museums. We walked for miles and took advantage of the reasonably priced self directed English walking guide (2.50 €), a booklet with a map. We had a great but exhausting day. When you are used to riding a bike, it is harder to have endurance for walking. As Barry said, "we're like a seal out of water, awkward on land".

A fine example of well maintained half timbered buildings.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A charming, narrow winding cobbled lane.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the many Gothic entrances to the Dom.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Historic homes and businesses lining the Dom (Cathedral) square.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the many churches in the Old Town Centre adjacent to the impressive Dom and square.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Doorways are always interesting in these old buildings, beautiful details and imagining horse drawn carriages going through them. In Erfurt, the holes on either side of the door (when there is straw in the hole) show that the beer is ready and of good quality.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The beer is ready and it's good!
Heart 0 Comment 0


As well as sightseeing, we couldn't resist an Outdoor Store called Unter Wegs. It was fun for a pair of gearhounds to explore 3 floors of Gear. It also goes without saying that we enjoyed Italian ice cream (hazelnut was my fave) and a traditional Thuringian restaurant for a memorable meal which included rouladen and the local specialty of dumplings.

Locally made Weissen beer from this Brauerai Gasthaus in Erfurt. When we think about Germany when at home in Canada, we often long for a "perfectly pulled pint of Weissen"...so tasty.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The restaurant/brewery where we had our meal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry enjoying a Rouladen dinner with Thuringian dumplings and yummy cooked red cabbage.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltMy dad (who was German) used to make Rouladen and it was delicious. :) Also with the red cabbage on the side.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Italian Eis is the best and this dog certainly agrees!
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Krämerbrücke / Merchants’ Bridge is very interesting to visit in the Old Centre of town. The stone bridge was constructed in 1325 over the river Gera where the original ford was located along the "via regia" trading route. The Krämerbrücke is the only bridge north of the Alps to be built over entirely with houses that are still used as residences. In medieval times there were two churches built at either end of the bridge, one of which, the Ägidienkirche, is still in existence.

The aerial photo (taken from the remaining church on the end of the bridge) shows what a unique structure it is. The homes and businesses line each side of the bridge and the top left photo shows the cobbled lane down the middle. Balconies on the exterior show the homes that are still occupied today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of Fischmarkt Square from the tower of Agdienkirche at one end of the Merchant's Bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0

On June 1st, 1695, the first foundation stone was laid for one of the few remaining 17th century city fortifications to be found in Germany. Today the Petersberg Citadel is an impressive example of European fortification construction dating from the 17th to the 19th centuries. It sits atop the hill overlooking the old town of Erfurt.

The Mariendom (Cathedral of the Blessed Virgin Mary) along with the Severikirche (St. Severus Church) are perched high above the Dom Square. These two magnificent examples of German Gothic architecture majestically dominate the cityscape.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was at the end of a long day of walking that we made it to the Citadel. It was tempting to give it a miss, but we are so glad we visited this site. The grounds are extensive, the site is free to all, plus it gives you an amazing view of the city and the surrounding countryside.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wandering the Citadelle Petersberg grounds gives you a wonderful view of the Dom (on the left) and the city. Many local people were enjoying the grounds on this warm summer's evening.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0