Dorfgastein to Werfen - All Roads Lead to Italy - CycleBlaze

September 21, 2017

Dorfgastein to Werfen

We chose to stay at the "Smart Hotel" in Dorfgastein, partly because it was very nice and also because it was very inexpensive. Little did we know, that its decor would match Mary Ellen so well. We have loved staying in this comfortable hotel with a wraparound balcony which gives us incredible views.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Alpine homes always have beautiful flowers on the railing. We especially liked the intricate carving over the window.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our hotel in Dorfgastein. The owners are very "smart" as their reasonable pricing ensures that their hotel is full. Across the street, another hotel was twice the price.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This home is positioned at the base of a ski run
Heart 0 Comment 0
The well cared for homes and barns add to the special charm of riding here. We have seen many barns with antique tolls, etc mounted on the barn for decoration. This one was very nice.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We watched this farmer high up on the hill herding his cattle as he moved his fences to get them to feed in a new area. This cow needed more encouragement. Everything about this farm was built on a vertical landscape. These farmers must have good cardiovascular health and strong legs.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Part of our ride today is on a busy road which can be quite narrow and winds down through a spectaclular gorge. At times the cliffs go straight up beside us on either side of the road. Here the bikes get their own tunnel.
Heart 1 Comment 0
What a surprise! We met a group of Canadians riding from Munich to Venice over a 2 week period. Their tour is with the CCCTS (Cross Canada Cycling Touring Society) and these men are from Victoria and Vancouver. What a small world, especially as one of their riders is from Saturna Island, a small island which is part of the Gulf Islands where we live.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A charming wee house built to withstand the coming winter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What did you say? Can't you see I'm eating?
Heart 1 Comment 0
"Bitte Nicht so schnell" (Please, not so fast) We think that the Lochside and Galloping Goose trails in Victoria could benefit from these signs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Houses in this area feature the eye catching large bell and weather vane on the roof.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is typical of the barns in this Alpine area of Austria.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A large water reservoir at the top of a hilly area we are riding through. We wonder why it isn't more full at this time of year.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking down at the Salach River in the valley. The ride here has been hilly but very rewarding.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A typical day in the life of a cyclist - clothes off, clothes on. At this point, we need to get warm before we overheat again.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A mother and her calf, nestled close together.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This ski jump is in the centre of the town of Schwarzach- no wonder Austrians are so good at this sport.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This tour group are from Germany and are with the ADFC cycling company.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Welcome cyclists to Schwarzach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We like the painted decorative details on the buildings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is so beautiful here in the mountains.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The 5 Mills are a historic feature here
Heart 0 Comment 0
Interesting markings on this horse.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are stopping in Werfen for the night. Once again, we are finding that we need to stop early as it gets very cold. We have a spectacular view from our roon of the castle and the mountains. Could it get any better?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view from our room - it just gets sweeter when a bit of blue sky appears.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 43 km (27 miles)
Total: 2,651 km (1,646 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0