A Spectacular Day in the Alps - All Roads Lead to Italy - CycleBlaze

September 20, 2017

A Spectacular Day in the Alps

Overvellach to Dorfgastein

The breakfast room at our Gasthof Kirchewirt in Obervellach
Heart 0 Comment 0
This couple who are from Augsburg, Germany were staying at our guesthouse and will also be riding up to Mallnitz to take the train.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry ready to conquer the mountain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The scenery was amazing. Barry stopped several times and took photos. So far the rain has held off, but it is a very cold day with a headwind.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The eight km climb included a number of switchbacks
Heart 0 Comment 0
The train station is in Mallnitz at high elevation - big tires are helpful here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The wind was even more fierce and cold at the top. Barry is excited to be here at the train station where Mary Ellen has been waiting.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The tunnel from Mallnitz to Bockstein goes through the mountain with no road, it is only for the train. This remarkable tunnel was built in 1907 and it has open carriage train cars to transport
Heart 0 Comment 0
An open car for automobiles. Just like a ferry, you drive on, sit in a passenger car for the journey (11 minutes) and then drive off. There is no road to ride over this mountain - you must take the train. It is amazing.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have disembarked in Bockstein. It is colder here and the snow is at our elevation. We are looking forward to a beautiful ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Snow fences on the mountain
Heart 1 Comment 0
We continue to love the Alpe Adria route - such a variety of landscapes and beauty.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This stunning waterfall started high up and made a loud roaring sound as it pounded its way down the rocks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are approaching the ski town of Bad Gastein. The emergence of some blue sky is encouraging on this cold day. What a view
Heart 1 Comment 0
This spectacular waterfall crashes down the rocks in the centre of the town of Bad Gastein. We liked the small brass sign on the railing which says "don't fall".
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have to pinch ourselves that we are here, riding in this stunning place. There is lots of fresh snow which makes it even more impressive.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A small mountain village nestled in the valley.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We both had the same reaction when we saw this farm. This must be where Heidi lives.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The town of Bad Hofgastein is a popular place for skiing and thermal spas beautifully set in the mountains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is truly a mountain cat, strongly built with an enviable winter coat. What a beauty.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We stopped to watch these villagers play this game, which seems to be a version of curling without the ice surface.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A typical sight: a house with an attached barn and plenty of firewood ready for winter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stopped to watch these villagers play this game, which seems to be a version of curling without the ice surface.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One last look at the mountains from our room before the sun sets.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 32 km (20 miles)
Total: 2,608 km (1,620 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0