A Slow Day in Slovenia - All Roads Lead to Italy - CycleBlaze

September 4, 2017

A Slow Day in Slovenia

What a pleasant time we have been having in Postojna. Yesterday was such a short ride as we knew that we needed the day here to sightsee at the caves and the castle. By the time we finished at the castle yesterday, it was after 6pm , so we happily stayed at the highly rated Guesthouse Mira G.in the village. The owners excel at hospitality. As fellow cyclists, they understand our needs and even brought us a large bowl of fresh grapes to enjoy.

We have been increasingly concerned about our brakes. They have had a real workout here in Slovenia as the descents match the ascents. We are so grateful that the front rotor for the disc brake was replaced in Austria, but we can feel that the brake pads for the discs and the 3rd rim brake are wearing down. We will stop in at the local bike shop for help and perhaps even get haircuts. After all it has been over 3 months!

The owner of the guesthouse, who is also a fellow cyclist, is receiving our business card so that he can follow our journey. He and his wife have provided a wonderful home for travellers with many thoughtful touches.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is part of the spread for breakfast that has been prepared just for us. They set up a time for breakfast for each room so that the guests get their food prepared fresh and they have privacy. As much of the breakfast as possible is homemade or locally sourced, including the veggies (from their garden), jams, a special tea made from flowers and honey (also from their garden) and olives (from his brother's farm in Slovenia).
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have enjoyed our stay here - thanks for your warm hospitality. Last fall, they visited friends in Calgary (former guests) and Victoria. Perhaps they'll visit Saltspring Island one day as well.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As usual, our bike is too big to fit in the shop, so the work will be done on the sidewalk.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yes, the pads were in pretty bad shape.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were also entertaining for this family who walked by. The little guy on his scooter really wanted to stop and try our bike. How does the small stroller hold 3 kids?
Heart 0 Comment 0
This cutie was watching the work being done from across the street. He was really trying to be part of the action.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And then he tried the "downward dog" but finally gave up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a treat to have a haircut. Some days, when we have finished riding and take off our helmets, our hair has been a fearsome sight.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was pure luck to have chosen the right hair salon to walk in to. Barry and I both got haircuts from this stylist and we really enjoyed talking to her. She speaks 4 languages: Slovene, English, Bosnian and Serbian. Her parents were from Bosnia and some of her family emigrated to Canada (Hamilton Ontario) after the war. It is a reminder for us of what the people of this region have been through in their lifetime.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking good Barry. "Frizerski Salon" = Hair Salon
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch from the local bakery - Bureks - one with meat and one with cheese. They are very inexpensive and so good, made with a flaky pastry. We also had a sweet one for dessert, filled with chocolate and vanilla.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The meat burek - it tastes as good as it looks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
After spending much time in the excellent Tourist Info and the adjoining Library, we came out to find this family riding by. Barry loved the little dog who was enjoying a ride in the carrier and he asked for a photo. They happily obliged with the small fee of our business card.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I wish I knew the name of this most helpful and amusing Tourist Info woman in Postojna. We really had fun talking with her and she gave us great tips for our remaining time in Slovenia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A resistance fighter from World War II.
Heart 0 Comment 0

More and more, we are choosing to ride on the main (secondary) roads as we find that the route winds too much with more ups and downs. Today we had a great ride with a steady climb for some km and then a delightful descent. Along the way, we were able to appreciate the spectacular scenery and farms.

Beautiful Slovenia
Heart 1 Comment 0
These sheep have obviously been to school and learned how to systematically mow the field as a unit. They formed a perfect line and moved as one.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI've seen the sheep do this in Germany - - line up and move as one! :)
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Some runaways heading out.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We came upon a donkey farm - this young one and its mother were on their own by the barn.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were so many donkeys in this field and many young ones.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This young donkey looks so soft - would love to get close enough to pet her.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Some of the highways in Slovenia have tolls.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was quite a sight and the sound of the birds was deafening. The field was full of sheep and birds feeding together.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Spectacular scenery - sheep and birds in the foreground.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 32 km (20 miles)
Total: 2,100 km (1,304 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0