A Rest Day in Rimske Toplice - All Roads Lead to Italy - CycleBlaze

August 30, 2017

A Rest Day in Rimske Toplice

A Room With a View (of an aqua centre and the countryside)

Yesterday when we were in Lasko, we realized that we needed to start looking for a place to stay. Everything in the town was too expensive so we rode out of Lasko in search of a cheap guesthouse. The first place we came to could not provide us with a secure place for our bike and the 60 euro room was TINY and not very clean. We said no thanks and kept riding. More steep hills and gravel, we started to get a little worried. When we reached Rimske Toplice we had to decide if we should ride the secondary road that was probably extremely hilly or take the busy road to the next town. It would take us at least another hour to reach the next village and we couldn't find anything listed online. As we were about to take the back road, Mary Ellen checked Booking.com and to our surprise there was a hotel one km down the main road. It was getting dark so we decided to give it a chance. Boy, did we ever make the right decision. It is a lovely hotel with its own pool complex and the price was very reasonable including a great breakfast spread. Plus,they had a secure space for our bike. 
We were so bushed last night that Mary Ellen fell asleep right after dinner and Barry stayed up working on the journal. We both woke up feeling like we had been hit by a bus.  After a terrific breakfast and realizing what a special opportunity we had if we stayed put, we decided our bodies needed a rest day and we would stay here another day.

The view from our balcony looking to the right. It feels good to look at the hills and to not have to ride up them for a day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view from the other direction. Because we are staying in the hotel we get free admission to the pool complex. Looks like fun!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our computer's sticker collection of the places we have been this trip
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our reduced load includes a new approach to "camping" while not camping! It's amazing how useful a kettle can be, and a full thermos of hot water everyday means we don't have to buy coffee during the day. Last year we added a collapsible cooler to our load and it was a great success... both for shopping and keeping perishables cool over night. This year the GSI mugs have been a great addition. We love our titanium SnowPeak sporks, the Opinel purple knife and the German Severin travel kettle. The little white mugs came with the kettle and are just the right size for a little hit of coffee on the road.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Well, doesn't this photo say it all. We are staying put and life is good by the pool. Time to kick back and show off our weird bicycle touring tan lines.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0