A Little Ride, Amazing Caves and a Castle in a Cave - All Roads Lead to Italy - CycleBlaze

A Little Ride, Amazing Caves and a Castle in a Cave

As we were eating dinner last night, our British friends arrived. We were happy to see them and have really enjoyed chatting with them. We were all happy to be sleeping under cover during the heavy thunder storm and rain last night. We know that today will be an easy day as Postojna is only about 20 km away. We will need the day there to sightsee. 

Our new friends from England ended up at the same guesthouse as us. In the morning I was taking a photo of the boys when a young rider rode up on his new bike to join the photo shoot
Heart 1 Comment 0
Happy travelling guys.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The neighbouring village of Zelse on a sleepy Sunday morning. This was the extent of the activity here, as well as locals walking to the church in the village for the service.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This cat was all business though, hunting for his breakfast.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The farm village of Zelse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hay drying on the rack.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This ram and the girls came out to check us out. As soon as Barry rang his bell, this fellow herded them back in to the barn.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The local church on the hill - the place with all of the action this Sunday morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This young lad was pulling his brother with a tow rope on his wagon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A short but fun day - we have arrived in Postojna where we hope to tour the caves.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were concerned that there was an accident ahead as there was a road block and police were there. Then we discovered that there is a big ride today and the police will be briefly closing the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Slovene flag.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are embarking on a tour of the incredible Postojna Caves - part of the tour is on this train and we will be travelling for kilometres underground and walking as well. It will be pretty cold so we are bundled up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Postojna cave is a 24,340 m long karst cave system just outside of the city of Postojna . It is the second-longest cave system in the country and is very popular with visitors.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
It takes 30 years to produce 1mm of stalactite. The caves are over 2 million years old.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The 500 metre long "Beautiful Caves" are filled with wonderful ribbon-shaped stalactites and stalagmites that are two million years old.. The halls of the Beautiful Caves are the farthest point that we reach on the tour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This phot from the Postojna Caves shows the Russian Bridge, so named as it was built by Russian prisoners of war during WW1.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The tour continues south through the Winter Hall, past the 5m, snow-white Brilliant stalagmite (also sometimes called the Diamond) and the neighbouring baroque pillar, which have become symbols of the cave.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A closeup of the 5 metre tall "Diamond" stalagmite
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
These little creatures, Proteus anguinus, have no eyes and can grow up to 1foot in length. They are only known to live in the Postojna Caves and are uniquely suited to live in subterranean darkness. When water levels are high in the caves, “the human fish”can be washed out to the surface. Long ago people believed them to be baby dragons emerging from the underworld.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our train that takes us quite a distance into the caves. We boarded the speedy electric train at the Concert Hall, which is the largest in the cave system and can accommodate 10,000 people for musical performances.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Warm again, after emerging from the 10 degree Celsius environment of the Caves. The temperature is constant and unchanging.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Included in the ticket that we bought for the caves was a shuttle ride and entrance fee to Predjama Castle. This 800 year old castle holds the Guiness Book record for the largest castle in a cave.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Original painting on the walls - remarkable
Heart 0 Comment 0
The castle became known as the seat of the knight Erazem Lueger ,lord of the castle in the 15th century and a renowned robber baron.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the toilets in the castle. Despite appearances, Mary Ellen is not on the phone, but she is listening to the audio guide for the castle.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ezeram was killed during a long siege. A cannonball landed directly on him when he was sitting on the toilet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view from the castle of the church where Erazem is buried.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The lord's chambers which is the only room in the castle with a source of heat. Life in the castle not luxurious. It was cold and uncomfortable but safe and protected., which was the most valuable feature in those times.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The castle's chapel was built directly next the lord's bedroom. Note the window with bars on the right: it provided a private space where the lord and his family could take part in the service from the comfort and warmth of their bedroom.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of our favourite beers from the Czech Republic. It is also one of the most popular beers in Slovenia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A great way to end an amazing day in Slovenia
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 24 km (15 miles)
Total: 2,068 km (1,284 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0