A Few Days on the Farm - All Roads Lead to Italy - CycleBlaze

A Few Days on the Farm

We are so lucky to have a "home away from home" with our good friends, Cora and Georg and their family. Coming back to them after months of cycling, is always a wonderful way to complete a trip. We share so much in common, as well as a passion for cycle touring.  Much laughter, great food and shared experiences make our time with them special.

Today has been a very special day as we have gone on a great ride with Georg and Cora to Limburg with a stop at a unique cathedral near Limburg on the Lahn River.

Georg and Justus hard at work on the farm
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cora took us to a butcher shop at a local farm. The selection of deli meats is incredible and very interesting. For dinner we had blood sausage, blood sausage with tongue (the dark coloured meat in the bottom right photo) and freshly made salami. We liked the photo of the cat curled up with the piglets.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cora made a delicious cake for supper - chocolate layer cake with almonds, chocolate buttercream and a hint of orange marmalade. Yummy!
Heart 0 Comment 0
How lucky for us....good weather on Sunday, our last day in Germany, so we went for a long ride to Limburg and back. On the ride to Limburg we stopped at a very old cathedral and had a wonderful ride on the bike trails through the countryside and villages of this area.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Enjoying the view from the Cathedral to the valley and outskirts of Limburg on the Lahn.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view from the cathedral. Many people were cycling on the route that follows the Lahn River and crosses through the farm fields.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lubentius Cathedral on the River Lahn. The cathedral is over a thousand years old.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another view of Cathedral Lubentius, strategically positioned with a view over the valley and the Lahn River.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The interior of Lubentius Cathedral - note the original painted wood ceiling and the spectacular pipe organ.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the reasons Georg wanted to bring us to this cathedral was the surprise to found in the crypt below the cathedral
Heart 0 Comment 0
And what a surprise it was.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What an incredible sight. No one knows why the skulls are arranged this way. But it is known, that patrons of the church wanted to be as close as possible to Lubentius, and so their remains were tossed in the basement of the church through a hole in the floor. Someone took it on to organize them.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Limburg we went to a wonderful bakery and had coffee and cake. The bakery has been in the same family for generations. Mary Ellen photo-bombed Barry as he was posing with "another woman"
Heart 0 Comment 0
The famous cathedral in Limburg.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The streets were closed in Limburg for a cycling race
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 2,897 km (1,799 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0