A Day to Explore Koper, Slovenia - All Roads Lead to Italy - CycleBlaze

September 7, 2017

A Day to Explore Koper, Slovenia

 Koper, Slovenia is a place we hadn't intended to explore. We had read about Piran, the Peranzana Cycle route, the Salt Flats, Izola, etc. but we had no expectations for Koper. We have found that the Istrian region of Slovenia is a small area but full of gems to explore. We just can't leave yet as we want to see more.
In finding such a good place to stay, we decided to give Koper its due and stay two nights. Koper is very low key with much to see. We wandered the narrow cobbled streets, climbed the Bell Tower for a great view and generally took in the ambience of this seaside town. In fact, Koper was at one time an island and today is a very busy port.
A block from our hotel is a large Cineplex and we are going to treat ourselves to a movie as in Slovenia, all films are shown in the original language with Slovene subtitles. We chose to see American Made, Barry Seal with Tom Cruise. The theatre was comfy and it was almost empty. This is our first movie in over 3 months. 

A view of Koper from our room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The clock tower dominates the skyline - as viewed from our room
Heart 0 Comment 0
A glimpse of life in Koper
Heart 0 Comment 0
Remains of the fortified wall in Koper.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Out for a walk in Koper
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A charming narrow street leading to the centre of town. There is a network of narrow streets like this that converge on the town square. Just take a turn and there is more to explore.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The tourist office is in this old building, part of the town hall.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Bell Tower, connected to the church - both are very historic buildings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These bells in the Tower are the oldest functioning in Europe...and they are very loud. As we were climbing, the sound was deafening.
Heart 1 Comment 0
What an interesting view of the courtyard from the tower.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A view towards Piran from the tower.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Koper port
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The seaside road from Piran back to Koran
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking at the hills toward Piran from Koper
Heart 0 Comment 0
Koper marina
Heart 0 Comment 0
Koper - we love being in a tropical Adriatic setting.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are being watched
Heart 1 Comment 0
What a cutie - keeping just enough distance to be safe.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0