Prince Rupert to Smithers by U-Haul truck - Cycling Away the Pandemic Blues - CycleBlaze

September 6, 2020

Prince Rupert to Smithers by U-Haul truck

SWe are eager to get on our way and make our way to Prince George where we will be visiting Mary Ellen’s sister. We plan to take our time and do the trip over 2 days. Driving a UHaul with Screamer on-board is a new adventure for us.

We stayed at Tall Trees B &B close to town. The reviews were promising but the reality was underwhelming. We chose it because a private home usually offers secure storage for Screamer.  Generally, the property was run down and needed updating and sadly, the  breakfast was spartan and limited.  If you are a meat lover, want an extra cup of coffee or any condiments, and if you are hungry...this is not your place. 👎
Enough said, let’s move on.

Tall Trees B&B in Prince Rupert. We had a great experience in Royston at Little Bear Garden View B&B, but we will look for a hotel/motel for tonight in Smithers.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It has been a bit of a challenge firming up the details of our truck  rental  with the Prince Rupert location. We had read that check-in can be a challenge  so we had phoned ahead from Port McNeill to confirm the reservation  we had made some weeks ago.  Alarmingly, the fellow told us that he had no reservation for us in their system and that there were no 10’ cube trucks available. He recommended that we contact UHaul head office. We did and they were incredible.  They confirmed our reservation, dealt with Prince Rupert personally, and suddenly a 10’ truck was available for us.  To complicate things, we got another call later from Rupert, and they wanted us to take  a 26’ truck  at a reduced price since they needed the 10’ for someone else. We declined as this seems overkill for our purposes and the fuel costs would be crazy.   Glad we called ahead, particularly as we are picking up our truck on a day they are closed and we have to check in online and retrieve our key in a lock box.

As you can see, we were able to successfully check in. Screamer is securely attached to the truck and we are ready to go.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And we are off!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The mighty Skeena River.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Skeena is a tidal river which makes it a paradise for fishing. Yesterday we saw a group of people fly fishing, outfitted with waders in the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road undulates alongside the path of the river. The mountains are always with us.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The rail line is an important link from Rupert, at the coast, to Prince George, Jasper and the rest of Canada for passengers and freight. With the increasing demands to transport freight from ships originating in Asia to all parts of North America, this rail line is being expanded with a second set of tracks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
What a beautiful route to drive.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, I agree - beautiful scenery!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
The second track will provide improved passenger service to Prince Rupert from Jasper. The crews are replacing the wooden ties with cement.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Glorious countryside
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Barry is always planning and researching. Where to go? What to see...
Heart 1 Comment 0
We never tire of these sights.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
The dreaded rumble strips
Heart 0 Comment 0
These are the only cyclists we saw on the road today. The last time we saw fully loaded cyclists was south of Campbell River on Vancouver Island. Cyclists with skinny tires would not enjoy these deeply cut rumble strips.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The colours of fall
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A good view of the Smither’s glacier
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have decided to stop in Smithers as it is the half way point between Prince Rupert and Prince George
Heart 0 Comment 0

We are very lucky to be eligible for extra discounts on hotel stays due to the frequency of our travels. That was the case with The Prestige Hudson’s Bay Lodge. We secured a room and discovered that it hadn’t been cleaned. We were given an upgrade to a King suite which made the discount even sweeter. Plus this room was the 10th night we have booked on Hotels.com, so our next night on his trip will be free!

Our digs for the night, The Hudson Bay Lodge in Smithers
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesOn the surface it seems like the Prince Rupert U-Haul had promised the 10' truck to someone else and was trying to brush you off. Good sticking to your guns!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jacquie GaudetNice clean air up there! I suspect Salt Spring Island is as bad as it is here in Vancouver. I'm starting to consider a loop like this next year if overseas travel still isn't advisable.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago