Prince George - a memorable drive - Cycling Away the Pandemic Blues - CycleBlaze

September 13, 2020

Prince George - a memorable drive

We have been very lucky to be in Prince George in the autumn with sunny skies, brisk clean air (unlike the smoky skies in the south) and the colours of autumn reflected in the leaves which are turning golden and orange.  

Days have been relaxing with lots of good food, taking drives in the country, catching up with family and just enjoying being in the north.

Today was a special day. We headed out to the wee village of Willow River to visit the market..and it proved the expression that it is not the destination but the journey that makes the day. 

While driving, we wondered why the traffic was stopped. As we rounded the corner we saw a truck with flashing lights and ahead of that were two riders on horses guiding cattle along the road. We love that all of the drivers were patient and remained in place for sometime while the ranchers  patiently and slowly helped the cattle make their way.

The cattle being herded by two riders. Traffic was stopped in both directions to give them a wide berth - sometimes a young calf would break formation, but they did really well.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Job well done. The cattle are reunited with the herd.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
We came to Willow River to see the market that takes place every Sunday
Heart 0 Comment 0
This general store does it all, Canada Post, Liquor, food, socializing...you name it, it’s there.
Heart 1 Comment 0

When we returned to Prince George, we pulled in to Cottonwood Park  on the Nechako River and couldn’t believe our eyes. A young sow and her 3 cubs were right there, walking along the path, enjoying the day and foraging for food from the vegetation along the shore. What a healthy looking family with beautiful coats, looking ready for winter. We and a few other cars kept our distance, “social distancing“ applies to bear as well, and watched. We were highly entertained by the antics of the cubs...climbing trees, falling out of trees, exploring their independence, yet always close to mom. The sow was very mellow, at times curled up on the ground, yet watchful.

What a treat to be able to witness this family’s life up close yet from a safe distance. We have included a few photos.

Image not found :(
Our first glimpse of this young sow with her three cubs in Cottonwood Park in Prince George.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, how cool to see the mother bear and cubs!!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Love this image. This family looks very healthy with beautiful fur coats, preparing them for winter.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Mom provides a good place to gather and keep close.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The cubs were very independent climbing trees and foraging for food, but they stayed close to mom when they could. The mother was very mellow and rested at the base of the trees, keeping an eye on her surroundings. Of course, we all, including the bears, socially distanced.
Heart 3 Comment 0
It is wonderful to have such a close view (with a zoom lens) from the safety of a car.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
An apt sign...but in this case, it should have included “watch for falling cubs”. One of the cubs had ambitions beyond its abilities. It tumbled out of the tree over and over again as it tried to reach for a distant branch. Four stars for tenacity for this guy though.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A beautiful bear enjoying this crisp fall day.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Mike AylingI am sorry that you missed your usual European tour but I enjoyed the beautiful scenery in your home Province.

Herein Victoria Oz in the Greater Melbourne area we are restricted to 5km radius of our homes.

Cheers
Mike
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Barry BartlettTo Mike AylingHi Mike
Thank you for your message. I guess we shouldn’t complain about missing our usual travels as I can see that your restrictions are considerably more significant than ours. Keep well
Reply to this comment
3 years ago