On the Road Again - Cycling Away the Pandemic Blues - CycleBlaze

September 20, 2020

On the Road Again

We have been staying with Mary Ellen’s sister for almost 2 weeks. We have had such a good time. We have been busy sightseeing and relaxing in her home which means that we have not been on our bike since we boarded the ferry in Port Hardy. Yikes,  It’s good that today’s ride is relatively a short one of 56 km.

We are packed, Screamer is loaded and we are ready to go. The rain started just as we were ready to go.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rather than riding the Hart Hwy down to Prince George, we took Foothills Blvd and it is a good way to go when riding a bike. The road is quieter and there is a good shoulder. The downhill is significant and we quickly cruised to 75 km per hour before Barry slowed us down a bit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crossing the Fraser River as we leave Prince George. It is cool and damp, but we are hoping that the weather will clear.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A last look back at Prince George and the CN freight train which is also crossing the river on the adjacent bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Next to Cottonwood Island Park (where we saw the sow with her cubs) is the Prince George Railway Museum. One day we will return and check it out.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The railway terminus is a very busy hub for transporting goods that have probably originated from Prince Rupert and the freighters from China and Europe. As well, the terminal is an important link for the Via passenger train that goes from Rupert to Jasper and east through Canada.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A last glimpse of the city of Prince George in the valley. The rain and winds have done their work and it is great to see clear skies again.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We sure love the landscape and terrain of the Cariboo region. A typical scene along the route. The crisp, clear skies of fall and the changing colours make it even more beautiful.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our bike bell drew the attention of this beauty.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cariboo Country
Heart 1 Comment 0
We love these old buildings which are misshapen with age and full of character.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Perhaps we’ll see a moose...
Heart 0 Comment 0
The mighty Fraser is impressive and fast moving. The campground where we will be staying tonight is just visible up ahead. Looks like a nice spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our home for the night. Note the Canadian and German flag welcoming visitors. Due to COVID, German travellers are unable to travel through the wilds of Canada and they are sorely missed by the hotels and campgrounds.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The campground has a nice walking trail through the woods to the source of Stone Creek at the Fraser.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Having fun at the river finding treasures.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stone Creek is a rushing creek this t8mr of year thanks to the wet summer the area has experienced this year.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beauty of autumn in the Cariboo. This photo is taken of the hills overlooking our campground across the highway.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Walking to the creek through the forest, we saw lots of rose hips, which reminds us of the time we lived north of PG at Takla Landing. We would pick rose hips and dry them to make tea.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not sure what this is called, but these berries were plentiful along the trail. Update: Bill Shaneyfelt commented and shared his knowledge. It is the Red Osier Dogwood. Thanks Bill.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltRed osier dogwood.

http://ontariotrees.com/main/species.php?id=2036
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Barry BartlettWe it will post this info on the caption. Thank you so much Bill for your keen eye and knowledge.
Regards
Barry and Mary Ellen
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Well, we have indeed seen a moose today...well, sort of. The antlers of a moose is above the door of our cabin. We are very happy here as the cabin is nicely outfitted with a good kitchen, comfy beds and an eating area...plus a nice view of the Fraser R.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The owners’ dog came by for a visit. It is hard to tell who is happiest, but they both have smiles on their faces.
Heart 3 Comment 0

It has been a wonderful day of riding. We have realized that it is easier to ride longer distances here than in Europe as there are fewer distractions to tempt us to stop. Frequent and closely spaced villages with bakeries and things to see slow us down for sure in Europe, but we love it. Today we were at our destination in a few hours which gave us lots of time to settle in and enjoy where we are.  We were going to stop and eat our packaged lunch enroute, but there was nowhere to stop, so we just enjoyed the ride and ate at our cabin.

Today's ride: 56 km (35 miles)
Total: 543 km (337 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0