Forest fires Impacting the North - Cycling Away the Pandemic Blues - CycleBlaze

September 19, 2020

Forest fires Impacting the North

Heart 0 Comment 0
Koops is a family run business and has been around since the 50’s. Their store is filled with bikes and bike gear (including these crazy coloured tires), sparkly ice skating and dance costumes and art pieces made of bike parts by the daughter.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltLove the neat colorful tires!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago

We had planned to leave last week to begin our journey cycling south. We delayed due to the deteriorating air quality that is making its way north  from the fires in Washington state. We are lucky that the air quality is not as bad as Vancouver Island and the lower mainland, but it has been significant  enough to make us reconsider heading out.   Any activity  yields headaches, a gritty taste in your mouth and coughing. We are better inside.

We are enjoying the German and European influences in Prince George. Adria Deli is a treasure trove of food and freshly made daily specials. This day we brought home the special of cabbage rolls, perogies, sauerkraut and German potato salad....and Czech beer Yum.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Power washing the driveway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This German bakery has been in the same spot in Prince George since the 1950’s.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mary Ellen’s birthday Is not until next week, but her sister thought it would be nice to celebrate together with a delicious chocolate cake from the German Backerei in town. Very nice.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Mr PG is a commanding presence. Note the hazy skies and orange sun peeking through the smoke.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today we are getting heavy rain which should clear the air to a manageable level. Good food, relaxing  and visiting with my sister have made the time fly. Tomorrow we will be heading out. We had planned to stop the first night in Hixon (75 km) as there are 2 motels in this small town and then ride on to Quesnel the following day (another 75 km).   To our surprise, both motels are fully booked for the next year to accommodate pipeline workers. So, back to the drawing board  as we would prefer not to ride 150 km our first day  and we can’t find anything online. We scoured every km of google  maps and happily found a campground at Stone Creek (50 km). It turns out they have one cabin and it is available. We are good to go.



Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, you were lucky to get the one remaining cabin to stay in!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago