To Badia Tedalda - a day of climbing in the Apennines - Italy Bound with our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

September 29, 2015

To Badia Tedalda - a day of climbing in the Apennines

Staying at Hotel Magda has been an unexpected delight. We really enjoy small family run hotels: the personal service, history and pride in their hotel make a visit memorable. Davide told us that the hotel was started by his parents 50 years ago and they named the hotel "Magda" after his new born sister.
Our cycling trip this year has been punctuated with bike problems that have lead to incredible experiences with local people. Fussen, Verona, Ferrara, Novafeltria - these are places that we will remember for the beauty and touristic value of the location - but even more, we will remember the incredible people we met who went out of their way to help us.
Today the ride will be all about climbing in the Apennines. Our destination is Viamaggio and the climb is to 1000 m over 30 km. We hope that the mist and rain hold off so that we can enjoy a view from the top.

Our last breakfast at Hotel Magda. Davide, our most charming and helpful host making us coffee. How can we take him, the coffee grinder and espresso machine home with us?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A day of climbing begins - we are leaving behind the landmark peaked hill next to Novafeltria. The countryside of this region is quite beautiful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The weather has dramatically changed and as we climb in elevation, it is becoming colder, rainy and windy. The good thing is that the mosquitoes don't like the cold and have disappeared.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The charm of rural Italy - the school and cinema shared this building.
Heart 0 Comment 0
To get warm and escape the rain, we went in to a bar to have a coffee and this crazed, charming dog befriended us. It was difficult to get a photo in focus as this hyper little guy couldn't stay still.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Finally, the dog stopped long enough for us to get a picture, but the tail is still furiously wagging.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Macchiato at the Bar - it doesn't get much better than this - 1 euro.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These cats seem to have posed for us. But the truth was, they were probably cold too and wanted in the house.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Leaving Rimini region and looking back to the hills of Novafeltria.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These signs with warnings of weather related road hazards ahead make us grateful that we aren't doing this any later in the season. Today is cold enough, we don't need snow and freezing rain to ake this meorable.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our route wound its way through Tuscany and Emilia Romagna and back again. We frequently saw these signs with the red lines showing the change. Now we are in Tuscany and some we'll be back in Emilia Romagna.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Climbing, climbing....
Heart 0 Comment 0
We're back in Emilia-Romagna for now - all we know is that we continue to climb.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The traffic on the road is not too heavy, but there are large trucks and buses on the route.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The final few km. into Badia Teldada are very steep, so Barry is riding the tandem on his own. Our pace riding and walking is about the same. This is always better than pushing the bike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Chianina cattle of Tuscany are esteemed for the quality of their meat. It is one of the largest and oldest cattle breeds in the world.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Only 300 metres more to the top. As this town has the last accomodation available until we descend to Sanseculpro, we'll stay here. The last two climbs were very steep and long, so it will be good to get inside, rest and get warm.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 36 km (22 miles)
Total: 1,730 km (1,074 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0