To Augsburg along the River Lech: escaping a thunder storm - Italy Bound with our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

August 24, 2015

To Augsburg along the River Lech: escaping a thunder storm

We were able to set up our tent just before the rains came last night - and that is a good feeling. It was cosy in our tent as it rained through the night as well. Camping at Donau-Lech offered us many amenities, such as free and fast wifi, kitchen facilities, a common room to spend time in and a rustic A-frame shelter for us to store our bike in by the tent - all for 13 euros. The campground is about 7 km south of Donauworth and is in a period of transition as there is much building and development being done. We wonder if tenters will be a priority for this campground when all of the upgrades are done.
Up early and eager to set off. A wet tent is never a fun thing to pack up, but our Hilleberg tent with its detachable (and dry) inner tent makes the process less complicated.

The route today was varied as we continued through farmland, small villages, industry and then about 20 km of gravel trail along the Lech River. We love riding along rivers, and the Lech is very pretty indeed. The first 9 km of gravel were the most challenging as they had kindly just added several inches of new gravel - we were grateful to have wide mountain bike tires. But, it was quite doable - just a good workout for our legs, and we need that as we are quickly approaching the Alps. The rest of the trail along the river was good riding and we really liked the beauty and changing quality of the river.
Our biggest challenge really, was the increasing heat and humidity of the day. We knew that a thunder storm was coming later on - but while riding along the river, we had light rain which served to cool us down. It was too hot to wear any rain gear.
Arrived early in Augsburg and we navigated through extensive construction which required that we walk the bike much of the way. We discovered that accommodation here is quite expensive but we were lucky to get a double "comfort" room at the Youth Hostel at a reasonable price. We really wanted to stay in town in accommodation for two reasons. Firstly to avoid the coming thunder storm and secondly to visit a bike shop tomorrow. We want to improve our climbing ability on the bike with a better granny gear on the Rohloff and the Rohloff specialist for the region is here in Augsburg and isn't open until tomorrow.
The Youth Hostel here is full of cyclists either on their way to the Alps or returning. Our room is huge with a private bathroom, TV and more than we need. But we are so glad to be here as the thunder storm with heavy rain started about 5pm and is still going strong through the evening.

Donau-Lech campground faces on to a small lake - a refreshing morning after the rain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Clean clothes are so hard to maintain on a bike trip - and Mary Ellen is pleased to finally have some for the ride today. The shelter housed our bike, trailer, bags and laundry over night. I wish we had one of these everywhere we camp.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWhat a nice idea to have these shelters at a campground. :)
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Via Claudia Augusta - we are on our way. The signage has been good so far for this route.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
These gates are the entrance to an extensive and elaborate horse farm. The ornate stone brick walls covered a huge area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A big, happy dog enjoying his walk and well trained in sharing the trail.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We found a bakery in Westendorf (hidden within the Rathaus) and shared this delicious himbeer pastry with 2 kaffee gross.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bikes are used for transporting everything, even manure.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Gravel path along the river for about 20 km. Most of it was quite good and rideable.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Taking a break under cover - and yes, we did buy a thermos so that coffee is always available when we need it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coffee and cake by the Lech River. The bridge came up at just the right time as we could take shelter and have some food.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Lech River - so changeable. Here the shoreline is lush and the river runs deep.
Heart 0 Comment 0
...and here, the water level of the Lech is very low.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The access route in to Augsburg and the historic centre are undergoing alot of construction that make it difficult to ride and get around.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dinner at the Youth Hostel in Augsburg - tortellini, a variety of salads and dessert - 6 euros - and very good.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 km (27 miles)
Total: 510 km (317 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0