Staying close to Rome for a While - Italy Bound with our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

October 11, 2015

Staying close to Rome for a While

Yesterday and the previous day, the mobile home where we are staying at Smeraldo Camping, 30 km from Rome, was being battered by high winds, thunder and nonstop torrential rain. We had all the supplies we needed and didn't step outside.
Then, magically, on Sunday, the sun came out. The owners of the campground spent the day cleaning up after the storm and we decided to explore the area. It was a beautiful day so we rode our bike to Anguillara, 7 km down the lake. We were really surprised at the beauty of this medieval lake side town. As it was Sunday, many people from Rome and other parts of Italy had come to enjoy a day by the lake.
The beauty of the ancient buildings on the hill, framed by the mediterranean aqua tones of the lake with palm trees and cactus made the feeling and vista of Anguillara very special.
Having emerged from a few days of howling bad weather in the trees from our noisy wind battered aluminum mobile home to find ourselves in a medieval wonderland was indeed surreal.
Knowing that there are other charming towns around the lake, we are tempted to focus our time here another day rather than Rome. The thought of taking a train in to Rome and tackling the crowds feels unappealing. We'll decide tomorrow - but we know that the weather tomorrow is the last good weather day for a week. I have a feeling that another bike ride around the lake will be the winning choice. Rome will wait for us.

Looking out at volcanic Lake Bracciano, (and one of the largest lakes in Italy) from the old town of Anguillara.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Walking up the well traversed lane to the church in Anguillara.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entering the old town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We met a very nice Italian family from Salerno who were very excited to see our bike. One of the women had seen us riding our bike a few days ago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A timeless view of the lake.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We parked SeavoB to wander down this narrow lane to explore this neighbourhood.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Being in a medieval town like Anguillara is for us like being a kid in a candy shop. There are no big attractions to see, but we could spend hours here walking down alleys and exploring. So much to do and so many people to meet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This clay owl caught my eye in a courtyard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This lane is a neighbourhood of homes - and there is always room for laundry to be air dried.
Heart 0 Comment 0
If these walls could talk - centuries of stories....
Heart 1 Comment 0
The walkway along the lake stretches for some distance along the waterfront of Anguillara.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many people aree very interested in our bike and our trip. We have enjoyed the gregarious and welcoming nature of Italians we have met in the past few months. "Complimente" "Brave" are often said and they are proud to hear how much we have loved visiting their country.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Living here for a month could be such an easy thing to do.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our trusty steed parked alongside the other big rigs. This part of Italy is known for Fungi (Mushroom) Festivals in the fall and this was a big attraction here today with many booths selling food prepared with a variety of mushrooms.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a beautiful spot. We chose to stay at Lake Bracciano because the Dutch Bike Shuttle Co., J Soetens, picks up here, not because it was a place we knew about or wanted to visit. What a delightful surprise to discover such a gem free of foreign tourists.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Porchetta - we will finally get to try some. We will take some home for dinner.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beach across from where we are staying at Smeraldo Camping.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This very old building was cleverly built to fit the landscape (a sharp drop to the left). Its seemingly fragile shape has stood the test of time.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 21 km (13 miles)
Total: 2,067 km (1,284 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0