Saying farewell to Iceland - Italy Bound with our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

August 6, 2015

Saying farewell to Iceland

It is already our final day here in Iceland - hard to believe.
In our short stay here we have seen so much and feel a connection to this beautiful, rugged country which is full of surprises around each corner.
After breaking camp (grateful that our tent is dry), we headed in to Reyjkavik to explore a bit of the city on foot. We will go to the top of the church to enjoy a panoramic view of the city, walk the streets of old town and do some sightseeing.
Reyjkavik is a charming place. We had a wonderful day exploring side streets, chanced upon an organ concert at the church, found an excellent (and reasonably priced) bakery, learned from past misadventures and parked on the street - not in a parkade - all in all a good day.
Headed out to Keflavik to find Raven's B&B and settle in for our last short night before dropping off our car and going to the airport at 5 am.

Leif Eriksson, the explorer, stands in front of the landmark church, Hallgrimskirkja, with an outlook toward the sea.
This statue was a gift from the USA on the 1000th anniversary of the Icelandic Parliament, Albingi.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our last day, and we are excited to find a great bakery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The oldest restaurant/cafe in Iceland.
Heart 0 Comment 0
...and the newest, Dunkin' Donuts. It is apparently a big deal as can be seen by the long line up and the security guard who controls the number of people who can enter at a time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Pride Festival was on in Iceland
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pedestrian/cyclist only streets are gated with blue bicycles.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We came to this church, Hallgrimskirkja, to go to the top of the tower for a view of Reykjavik, but were happy to chance upon an organ concert.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We took the elevator up to the top of Hallgrimskirkja church, the second tallest building in Iceland-244 ft.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Completed in 1974, Hallgrimskirkja is designed to look like the columns of the country's volcanic lava.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat's a very different-looking church, for sure!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Icelandic homes are often very colourful - even plain houses have a splash of colour.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Many of the houses in Reykjavik were made from brightly painted corregated iron with white picket fences.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another friendly Icelandic black cat has befriended Barry
Heart 1 Comment 0
Yummy treats from a bakery we discovered in Reykjavik
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our plane which will take us to Frankfurt.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0