Camping at Via Claudia at Lechbruck: It's hot again - but we enjoy local hospitality - Italy Bound with our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

August 27, 2015

Camping at Via Claudia at Lechbruck: It's hot again - but we enjoy local hospitality

We had a wonderful opportunity to meet and get to know a local person when we stopped briefly to check our route at Erpfting. The village seemed charming and free of touristic features so we were pleasantly surprised when Karen heard us speaking English and approached us to invite us to her home for a second breakfast.
We really enjoyed being welcomed into their lovely home. French press coffee, wonderful meats and cheeses, yummy bread, homemade preserves and good conversation gave this day an unexpected special focus that we didn't know was possible. Isn't that a joy of travelling to have the luxury of time to take advantage of these opportunities?
Refreshed and well fed, we headed off, realizing that once again we would not be able to make it to our planned destination,the campground ahead of Fussen. Oh well, not a problem.
We stopped at a wonderful campground at Lechbruck, appropriately called Via Claudia Augusta. What a well run and popular campground with 3 separate areas devoted solely to tents.
Should also mention that the scenery is becoming quite exciting as the Alps are becoming closer and more majestic with each km.The vibrant green colours of the foothills and the melodic sound of cow bells are transporting us to an Alpine reality. We have seen pictures of this region, but the reality is even better.

Breakfast at Rasthaus Hurlach in the dining room.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rasthaus Hurlach - glad we persevered and found it. When we pulled up we walked in to the side where migrant farm workers live - we almost left, but they signalled for us to go next door - quite a difference.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The quiet and pretty village of Erpfting.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The stork and baby clothes on the wall show that a baby has been born in this household.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A lovely meal and warm hospitality was extended to us by a local woman in Erpfting. Wonderful food, a pot of french roast coffee and rhubarb juice (delicious) as well as an insight to life here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Special moments like this on a trip will stay with us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Delicious selection of meats for our "home visit".
Heart 0 Comment 0
We made a connection - between bites of hay.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltGreat picture of the goat! :)
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
A creative shelter for the goats at this farm.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are many horse farms in this area.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Clearly they are worried that people might fall off the bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view of the lake at Via Claudia campground at Lechbruck. The mountains are getting closer every day.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 655 km (407 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0