A Slow but Eventful Departure from Verona - Italy Bound with our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

September 12, 2015

A Slow but Eventful Departure from Verona

We loved Verona. We didn't do much official sightseeing but we had many adventurous encounters with local Italians who took us under their wing and extended true hospitality and kindness.
The streets were so crowded in the shopping area that as a taxi zoomed by, Barry lost control of the bike and had a nasty fall. After patching up his cuts and bruises, I left him sitting to recover as I looked for the travel bookstore. When I returned, I felt badly for him as he was sitting by the bike lost in a crowd of interested and curious tourists. We made our way through a tour group, not easy with our big bike and trailer, and escaped to the calmer street with the bookstore and incredible Paticceria.

Have been looking for this travel maps/guides bookstore for a few days. We finally stumbled across it on a side street.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gulliver Bookstore - a treasure trove for travellers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A wee store frontage for a marvellous 2 storey bookstore filled with travel guides and narratives, maps and more.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And across the road from Gulliver is a Paticceria, Flego's, that rivals the best we have experienced in France.
Heart 0 Comment 0
So, we had to go in and have some lunch. The food is as good as it looks and the setting is elegant.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another puzzled and admiring (we think) Italian trying to figure out our bike.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Torte Russe, a local specialty
Heart 1 Comment 0
This couple are travelling from South Africa and were full of questions for us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a great patisserie.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This couple, Michael and Annette, from Munich are here for a holiday in Verona. They also love cycling and have invited us to stay with them on our way through if we can.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Castelvecchio Bridge, Verona - we entered the old town over this bridge when we arrived. It is a spectacular way to enter a city.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view from the bridge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Castelvecchia Bridge, looking back at the fortification.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As usual, when I look back Barry has been approached by people. This man, from Norway is on a wine tour with another couple.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of the river from Castelvecchio Bridge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We had a great visit with these two men from Norway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Breakfast at Albergo Trento, our hotel in Verona.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Francesca and her mother run Albergo Trento (Hotel has been in the family for 61 years). We have enjoyed staying here, centrally located in the middle of old town and reasonably priced.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We always know that a stay has been wonderful when it is bittersweet to leave. Verona, we'll be back.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The gate leading in to the main square and Piazza Bra.
Heart 0 Comment 0
@
The Arena (like the Colisseum) is an impressive place and we were lucky to attend a free concert in the arena our first night here. It was a cultural experience as it was the glitzy finale for the Italian version of American Idol. And it was fun, just us, who didn't know what was going in, and 1000's of excited Italian fans.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We finished our lunch at the Flego Paticceria with this luscious chocolate square decorated with gold. Somehow, under the soft centre, the crust was crispy.
Heart 1 Comment 0
On our way out of Verona, we passed a convent and just before I took this picture, they were clapping and calling out to us, cheering us on.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We pulled over into this neighbourhood to investigate the pink decorations. There is an annual festival and each block is a different colour - this is the pink one.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
And of course, the "pink" neighbourhood must have pigs having a picnic and farming.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This exhibit in a "pink" yard shows pictures of past festivals and the popular characters of the Peppa Pig family. While we have been here we have been collecting Peppa pig magnets in the cheese we buy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stopped for ice cream in Sommacampagna at their ice cream shop, "Martini". They were so fascinated by our bike that they asked to take a picture of it. We returned the favour. Great ice cream!
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Italy the bike route signs are typically brown and always appear when you need them.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Agriturismo accommodation in Italy is a great thing for cyclists as they sometimes allow camping and are usually close to cycling routes where hotels and campgrounds are not available. We have been taking advantage of them as they introduce us to locals on working farms and the service is personal and heartfelt. We passed this large one on our way to Mantova but didn't stay here.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 56 km (35 miles)
Total: 1,149 km (714 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0