A Mouse In Our Tent!!!: The Wet Mousy Campground to Bad Mergentheim - Italy Bound with our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

August 17, 2015

A Mouse In Our Tent!!!: The Wet Mousy Campground to Bad Mergentheim

Oh yes, we have had a mouse in our tent!!
After decades of camping, this is a first for us.
Luckily, we never saw it in the tent, but as we were getting our panniers out of the vestibule to pack the bike, we found this fat rascal using a pannier as his nest. Barry jumped in to action and eventually got him to leave.
However, it got more interesting when I was deflating the mats and noticed black droppings on the floor, on my phone, etc - and then I came upon a fairly large hole in the floor of the tent with distinctive tooth marks! Yikes, I don't want to think about the possibility that three of us were in the double sleeping together.
Anyway, there is nothing like packing up a wet tent and dodging mice to get your heart pumping. We are happy to be on our way.

Barry, the mouse chaser. He looks happy to be moving on and getting back on the bike.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, in all my years of tent camping, I've never had a mouse chew its way into my tent/stuff.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Yeah - a bakery and good coffee. Suddenly things are looking up. A communication breakdown with Camping Forelle - she told us there were no shops or villages closeby, so we stay put. A surprise to discover this bakery a few km away. (Our Romantic Strasse map doesn't start until Werbach, so we were a bit out of the loop.)
Heart 1 Comment 0
We couldn't resist taking a picture of this vine covered house
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are accustomed to great signage for cycling routes in Germany - and this area lives up to past experience.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a nice couple and fellow tandem riders too. They were out for a day ride and stopped to have a chat. We admired their motor...hmmmm perhaps some day?
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Tauber River - it has a distinctive muddy brown colour along this part of the route.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We can never resist stopping to talk to animals. The baby goats were fun and the sheep were enthusiastically feeding on fresh purple cabbage leaves.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A face to remember - and oh so soft to touch.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another day, another village, another Metzgerei. We bought slices of the feature roast of the day to make sandwiches - still hot!!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Marketplace in Lauda
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
I used my "super" translating skills (and my translator app!) to understand a sign which said, "Caution, trail ahead requires pushing of your bike." Well, it did, but it was not so bad.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We always admire the painted scenes and decorative touches on German houses and businesses.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The mighty Tauber River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This small church, Wolfgangskappelle, in Bad Mergentheim
Heart 0 Comment 0
This field of gladioli was set up on an honour system - pick and pay as you like.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Courtesy of an electrical/heating business in Lauda, this inventive bicycle creation was along the trail.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The rider even has a helmet.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 km (34 miles)
Total: 229 km (142 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0