A Few Days on the Reitz farm: Training rides, solving bike problems and lots of laughter - Italy Bound with our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

August 8, 2015

A Few Days on the Reitz farm: Training rides, solving bike problems and lots of laughter

We have stayed a few days with our German friends, Georg, Cora and their wonderful children Justus and Clara. We met the Rietz family at a campground on the Rhine River two years ago. I saw the family relaxing in the shade of a tree surrounded by their four recumbent bikes. We talked late into the evening about recumbent bikes, bicycle touring and life in Germany and Canada. At the end of the evening they invited us to visit them on their farm near Limberg. A couple of weeks later we met them and stayed with them for a few days. Last year they picked us up the Frankfurt airport and we stayed with them at the beginning and end of our trip. They were kind enough to offer to keep our tandem for us so that when we return we wouldn't have to fly with our bike.

The Reitz family are problem solvers and we appreciate that they love to help us solve our bike issues...route questions...anything. Here Cora, Georg and Justus are replacing our rear disc brake and making sure we will be safe crossing the Alps.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Italian eis (ice cream) in Germany - freshly made in the shop. Spaghetti eis is featured here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lasagna ice cream - of course!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had a nice bike ride through the countryside to Hadamar and the Eis Cafe San Marco. The same Italian/German family have run this place for 3 generations.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Georg and I had chocolate - yum!
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was a hot day in Hadamar - the Eis Cafe was full to overflowing, both outside and inside.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was a pleasure to ride with Georg and Cora on their tandem, Hase Pino.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Georg to the rescue again. We forgot a small connector we need for our solar battery. As a passionate ham radio enthusiast, he was able to create a replacement cable for us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mr. Canada - we gave Georg a Canadian cycling cap in appreciation.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Getting the bike ready for our journey amongst the chickens and sheep.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Justus takes care of the farm animals - they are well loved and have a good life.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Putting on bottle cages - grrr, always a challenging task. Mary Ellen is probably smiling because Cora is having more success and is completing the task.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Justus restored the vintage diesel Eicher tractor on the right and Georg uses the new larger one on the farm.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Reitz family farm - their warm hospitality has made it feel like our second home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ham radio operators live here!!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
What would we do without Cora? She has worked tirelessly to help us plan our route,download GPS tracks,cook wonderful meals and make us feel at home.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 64 km (40 miles)
Total: 64 km (40 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0