A Day at the Verona International Bike Show - Italy Bound with our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

September 11, 2015

A Day at the Verona International Bike Show

We went back to the bike shop and Fillippo had his mechanic install our rear bottom bracket. This took much of the morning, so we took advantage of the opportunity to explore a part of Verona that isn't known to tourists. We had a great time meeting local people, joining locals in the neighbourhood bar for espresso,etc.
We got back to our hotel midday and weighed our options: visit the incredible tourist sights of Verona....or go to the International Bike Show. Well, since we have never had the opportunity to go to a bike show of this size and calibre, we thought we would go for a few hours. However, it was so immense and interesting, we spent the rest of the day at the show. It was so much fun with exciting new bikes, bike gear and parts, a museum of Italian road racing and even a "travel Italy by bike" section. We were surrounded by mostly Italian cycling fanatics and saw few tourists. We enjoyed that too.
It has been a different stay here as initially our priority was to get our bike fixed and in the process we have walked much of Verona in search of shops. As a result we feel that we have gotten to know this wonderful place in a unique way.

Barry enjoying a Macchiatto at the neighbourhood Bar. We love finding these places. In Italy, a Bar is a coffee place with evolving uses throughout the day. In the morning, espresso and a bun/croissant, sandwiches and paninis later in the day - but always coffee. It is good and reasonably priced.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The woman who runs the Bar was very friendly. Spending time here, we appreciated what a community meeting place a Bar is in a neighbourhood.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The jersey for the bike shop where we spent so much time - thank you Fillippo!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our bike will be so much happier getting some expert TLC.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Attendees at the Cosmo Bike Show were welcome to try out the track.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mary Ellen is admiring the beautiful details of this road bike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This should work for a tour, right? But can we lift it on to a train?
Heart 1 Comment 0
This company makes really nice e-bikes with attention given to unique details. This bike is good for city use and the motor is set with your smartphone.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry loved riding this bike. Despite its small size, it works for any height of person.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This retro e-bike was high on the comfort and wow factor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A fun idea for displaying bikes - go for a ride on a carousel to try a bike.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWhat a great idea to put bikes on a carousel! :) :)
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
An unusual and strange looking bike, ideal for commuting..but such tiny wheels.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And it also looks strange folded - a unique design.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This bike company was handing out t-shirts - and if we are "liked" on facebook, we win a prize.
Heart 1 Comment 0
WD-40 has a new line of bike products available and the fellow gave Barry everything they offer. At camp, he is going to clean the bike and do all the maintenance he likes to do on the bike with the products. The model wearing the WD-40 bodysuit, handed out samples and was a good sport to pose with whomever asked for a photo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Schwalbe tires were well represented.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We really liked the merino clothing made by this company. It is an Italian/Japanese collaboration. The Japanese designer is an avid cyclist and has created great products.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the museum section, profiles of some of the great Italian riders like Pantini, Coppi, etc were featured along with their bikes. We really enjoyed this section of the show.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pantini's racing bike. We have recently watched the documentary about Pantini, so this was quite meaningful for us to see his bike and his race clothing. As well at the museum section, there was a great showing of bikes of the last century that have been used for racing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the Dutch Cycling Embassy booth, they featured some unique bikes. This one, the Alinker is meant for people with disabilities. The idea is that you are placed at an equal height with others and you propel yourself with your feet. I watched this woman get out of her wheelchair and walk with this bike. Liberating for her I'm sure.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Also at the Dutch booth was this bicycle, which is also a piece of art. Its design is very artistic but functional.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This man is a member of the Dutch Cycling Embassy and he shared some great information with us. We must go back to the Netherlands again someday.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A close up of the Alinker. At the black section, it also folds very easily. We were interested to hear that the designer, Ms. Alink, lives in Richmond BC (Vancouver) and that these bikes are available in Canada. It is a great idea for people with mobility or balance issues, seniors....
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Alinker folded...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Waiting for the bus back in to Verona, I admired these ladies' bicycle earrings. They are part of the Verona cycling group and were selling the earrings to promote cycling in their city.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We enjoyed watching this champion rider doing tricks on his bike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And then he did jumps over volunteers. By the time he was finished, he had 9 people lying on the ground that he jumped over.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was fun to watch, and glad that we aren't one of the volunteers.
Heart 1 Comment 0
He was quite a ham, and we all gasped as did the man in the red shirt. At this point, 9 people were lying down. I felt that the ones on the ends had the most excitement.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cosmo Bike Show - great fun, a memorable day, for only 8 euros.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Being fans of the Canadian rider from Victoria, Ryder Hesjedal, we enjoyed seeing the offical Cannondale Garmin supplier of helmets and sunglasses, POC from Sweden.
Heart 0 Comment 0
When we told the rep that we were Ryder Hesjedal fans, he gave Barry the helmet and glasses that Ryder wears to try on.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Since the bike show is in Italy, many booths offers espresso or cappucino (which we accepted), but this booth offered beer and snacks (which we also accepted) as we had been here for hours and were very thirsty.
Heart 0 Comment 0
So many bikes!! and so many that we have only seen in magazines.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What an unusual bike with its tiny front wheel and chainrings.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Some of the bike racing museum at the show.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wonderful Italian merino wool jerseys
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0