We begin riding Via Rhona...new and improved - A Grand 3 Month European Tour on an E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

May 16, 2018

We begin riding Via Rhona...new and improved

Grigny to Vallier

We have had a great time staying with this hospitable and most interesting couple. Roland is truly a gentleman, retired-almost, and Martine is a writer, full of enthusiasm. We have hosted cyclists in our home, yet this is our first time experience being the guests. We must be less shy and do this again. It gives you such a special experience and insight in to the local way of life and cultures. 

Martine and Roland with Barry bidding us farewell.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Jacques Aquetil is a treasured French cyclist who has a list of accomplishments, including winning the Tour de France 5 times. Givors has honoured his memory by naming this sports arena after him.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nutella is serious business in France. Last winter we had read a news story featuring French shoppers fighting over Nutella as the price of a jar had been slashed. Roland told us that this Intermarche in Givors was where this happened. What a small world. Now if there had been skirmishes about peanut butter we would understand!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oh, the gates! Who was paid good money to create these obstacles that are impassable. Thankfully, each region has a different type of gate and this is not typical. We encountered the same kind in Dole earlier in the trip. These gates forced us to ride on the road instead of the bike route; Grrrr.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Givors is frequently a starting point for the stage that goes to Mont Ventoux in the Tour de France. Givors is very proud of its cycling history which you see in the murals of past winners of this stage at the Tour de France: Chris Froome in 2013 and Stan Ockers in 1956.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Great signage on the Via Rhona. There has been a huge effort to improve the infrastructure and the quality of the cycling paths in recent years. 10 million euros have been invested and we can affirm that it is now excellent and a great cycle route for loaded bicycles -except for some of the gates.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
This area of France has a wealth of historic villages, which are mostly intact. We are getting to villages with Roman roots. Enchanting.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are surrounded by vineyards as well as lush forests and farmland. Perfect for us.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another advantage of riding in the spring is the abundance of poppies everywhere. The vibrant red colour adds to the magic of the ride.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltLove the poppies! :)
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
The poppy is such a delicate flower and hard to capture in the wind. It took several attempts before we could get this shot.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Did we mention the gates?? We rode through a wonderful section, Ile de beure, which is only 1.5 km long and there were 7 gates! On one of the, we had to take the unloaded tandem through horizontally, and then later, Barry discovered that he could lift one of the poles enough that I could push Seavo through. Granted the ride was a beautiful nature reserve, but the mosquitoes were fierce when we stopped...and the gates....oiiiy!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Made our lunch at one of the many inlets where kayak/canoe races are held. Thoughtfully, there are cement bleachers where we could sit and admire the views.
Heart 0 Comment 0
...and also feed the swans.
Heart 1 Comment 0
What a face and a bit of attitude too.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We forgot to mention that we have been riding through orchards of cherries, and they are ripe. What a sight and the aroma are tempting.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesWe have been whining about the lack of ripe cherries since the start, and You seem to have hit it just right. Grrr.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

Today's ride: 68 km (42 miles)
Total: 1,326 km (823 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0