Treviso to Casarsa del Delizia, Barry riding Seavo and Mary Ellen ...the rails - A Grand 3 Month European Tour on an E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

June 23, 2018

Treviso to Casarsa del Delizia, Barry riding Seavo and Mary Ellen ...the rails

Photos to come.....

I just can’t seem to shake this bug. It is difficult for me to ride as my cough is so deep, I feel pretty crappy and breathing with exertion is difficult. Once again, we have come up with the solution that I  will take the train and Barry will ride. I am so frustrated as I would prefer to be with Barry on the bike. Nonetheless, the trains have been great and very inexpensive, so it is a good solution.

Today, we figured out a route which will take us in the direction of Udine. This  is situated on the Alpe Adria route which  we will be taking through the Alps to Salzburg. We have no GPS track, nor can we find any cycling maps, so Barry researched online and found a route on Bicitalia (a website of Italians cycling routes). He will ride east to Oderzo, then north to Sacila, continue on to Pordenone and finally stop in Casarsa . We have booked a room here as the accomodation is walkable from the train station. You may wonder why we can’t get maps. The answer is simple, after Treviso we enter a new region and tourist offices only stock info for their own region.

Barry had a great ride but confusing and exhausting. Without a GPS track and non existent signage, he had to constantly look at the map. Finally, he gave up on the route and rode the more direct autoroute, SS13 which relieved him of losing his way.  He arrived at the hotel in the evening and we had dinner in our room.

Breakfast, a la Gracie, at Dolce Casa in Treviso.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Seavo enjoying the digs at our B&B as well.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Gracie is a natural at hosting a B&B - her graceful hospitality made us feel comfortable and very welcome in her lovely, art filled home.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Italy has a civilized approach to drinking water - every village and city has fountains with drinking water, as well, we see these dispensers of cold still or sparkling water - 5 cents a litre and you bring your own bottle.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWonderful idea to have the machines to get cold water - especially when it's so hot out! :)
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
And then, Barry had a wonderful experience riding through this passageway. He met and visited with these graffiti artists, shared conversation, watermelon and got to know Italians, as they said, “real Italians”.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry really enjoyed his time with them and this chance encounter reminds him of why we travel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaving Treviso region and entering Pordenone. “If you see it, you”ll fall in love”.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry is excited to be entering the Pordenone region as his father’s paternal family originate from here. He hasn’t been back since a family trip in 1963.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A war memorial for WWI in Pordenone.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry may have found one of his ancestors at the war memorial. It is always moving to visit a war memorial, but especially so when you discover a plaque for a soldier who shares your surname.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Meanwhile, Mary Ellen is walking to our hotel from the train station, ad discovers that the roads are closed and there is a large police presence. It soon becomes clear that a pro cycling race is coming through - the same race Barry encountered a few days ago.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And here they come - it is hard to describe how fast they ride unless you are standing as close as I was.
Heart 1 Comment 0
What a sight and a thrill to see these pro riders fly by.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dozens of team cars with spare bikes on the roof.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were also several ambulances and support vehicles following the riders. It is so hot today and I can’t imagine how they ride in this weather.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 98 km (61 miles)
Total: 2,995 km (1,860 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Mike AylingMary Ellen

I suggest you may need medical intervention if you are not healing.
Not an easy choice with language differences and not understanding how the local medical system works however.

Mike
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesMary Ellen, it sounds like you may have developed bronchitis or even pneumonia. Go see a doctor and get it checked out, this is not the kind of thing to fool around with. You may very well need antibiotics and the longer you wait the longer recovery will take. I am concerned for you. Dodie
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Barry BartlettTo Steve Miller/GrampiesWhat a wonderful cycling community we share online. We value following others and the caring we feel as well. You’re right -I will seek help. Am guilty of ploughing on trying to be ok. A bit stubborn I guess. Thanks for giving me a wake up call.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Barry BartlettTo Mike AylingThank you for your kind thoughts Mike. You are right -we’ll find a doctor today. Needed the push as I have been reassuring Barry that I am fine. Not fair to him either.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago