Treviso - a special place of rivers, canals and bikes - A Grand 3 Month European Tour on an E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

June 22, 2018

Treviso - a special place of rivers, canals and bikes

photos to come.....

Last night, after Barry got to Treviso, we went for a short walk to the  old town to look for a supermarket. The stifling heat and humidity was too much for both of us and we gave up, bringing home take out pizza instead. 

This morning, the humidity has lessened due to a heavy rain and thunder storm last night. Gracie made us a lovely breakfast of frittata, ham, tomatoes and mozzarella with olive oil, homemade cakes, yogurt, etc. It was nice to have a hot breakfast made to order.

We explored Treviso with Seavo and what a fabulous day we had. Treviso is a beautiful place to visit, but we can also see that it offers a great lifestyle. The many waterways surrounding the old town, and the canals that run through it create a relaxing and beautiful setting with many green spaces for relaxing and gathering with friends along the water.

So many old buildings are built on the water with arched supports beneath. Not only people, but ducks have a great life here.

As well as seeing character filled narrow cobbled lanes, canals with houses and flowers  and historic buildings, we took the time to visit the Pinarello Bike Store which continues to be a family run business.. Like our experience visiting  Chesini Bikes in Verona, we were in awe of the quality of bikes and the cycling history displayed here. Pinarello was a pro cyclist who grew up in Treviso and he used his winnings to fund his vision of building bikes and sharing his passion. The bikes are still built in Italy. An interesting bit of trivia we learned from a member of his family was that Pinarello  wore the Maglia  Nera  jersey in the Giro d’Italia in 1951, meaning he placed last. At that time, just finishing was an achievement, and for that accomplishment, he got a financial award. . This is the money he used to begin his business.

Treviso is a small place, and is overshadowed by nearby Venice. Many agree that this well kept secret  is a good thing  as the crowds here  are small in comparison. After a full day of exploring, we know that we made the right choice. This is a place where we could stay for some time and enjoy the beauty and relaxed rhythm of this small gem in Veneto.

The historic centre of Treviso is a special place - canals and waterways make it feel like a mini Venice - and without the hordes of tourists. On this hot day, we are enjoying the cooling effects of the canal below.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Treviso is a welcoming city for cyclists with bike paths and easy access to the historic centre. As Gracie at our B&B told us, we can go where cars can’t.
Heart 2 Comment 0
One of the many waterways where homes and buildings have been established for centuries.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We can imagine that it must be pleasant to have an apartment on the water.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Such character - and in Europe, old and abandoned lives alongside the new, or newly restored.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The mermaid statue is in the canal beside the fish market.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The fish market is positioned on a small island in the middle of the canal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of the fish market and the mermaid statue.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the may Piazzas in Treviso.
Heart 2 Comment 0
These bronze statues of women in various poses are very striking. Our B&B has a brass statue based on the woman leaning back.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We’ve never been big fans of Prosecco, but this one has caught Barry’s eye.
Heart 0 Comment 0
World Cup fever is alive and well.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This whimsical bronze statue of a bull on his head is called “Resilience” signifying the fortitude and resilience of Italy.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 18 km (11 miles)
Total: 2,897 km (1,799 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0