Sightseeing in Barcelona- Picasso Museum - A Grand 3 Month European Tour on an E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

June 5, 2018

Sightseeing in Barcelona- Picasso Museum

Since we arrived in Barcelona on Monday and have to leave on our precooked ferry to Italy on Wed, we only have 2 days here in Barcelona. We couldn’t wait for the next ferry to Genoa as it doesn’t go for another four days, so we need to be organized and make the most of the time we have.

Yesterday after we checked in to our hotel, we walked for hours, and miles and miles, exploring the old town and neighbourhoods around our hotel in the Eixample and Barri  Gotic areas.  We decided to spend our 2nd day here visiting  the Picasso Museum and Sagrada Familia, the Gaudi masterpiece. Both are extremely popular so we prebooked our visit:Picasso at 10:15 and Sagrada at 2:30. Should be a great but busy day.

The Picasso Museum is exclusively devoted to the life and art of Picasso. It has the largest collection of Picasso’s art and it does a meticulous job of showing his development and growth as an artist since the age of 13. His genius is undeniable  and what a thrill to see his work in such an intimate environment. Many of the pieces were donated by his widow Jacqueline after his death. What a great and easy choice it was for us  to spend the morning here. There is so much to choose from in Barcelona, and for us, this Museum was our first choice.

His lifelong friend since 1889, fellow artist and personal secretary, Jaume Sabartes, tirelessly worked to help create and negotiate for the Museum which opened in 1963 officially. He also donated his complete personal collection of Picasso’s work which had been given to him by his friend. It is interesting to see the personalized inscription on these paintings: “to Jaume, Picasso.

S
Picasso Museum is housed in this impressive 13th century building. Some of the rooms had their own spectacular features - gilded painted ceilings and interesting architecural details.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We also got to see the special temporary exhibit: Picasso in the Kitchen which explored his relationship with food through his art and in his personal life. Very interesting
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Balconies on these apartments do double duty as gardens and laundry drying areas. We loved the garden on this balcony.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Or if you are so inclined, how about a friendly mannequin wearing an animal mask to greet passers by.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0