Sete to Salles d’Aude - A Grand 3 Month European Tour on an E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

May 26, 2018

Sete to Salles d’Aude

 Last winter, while poring over maps and websites, the reality of the route is just a dream. The city of Sete, perhaps due to its strategic location on the Mediterranean had an undefinable allure for us. It also represented an achievement of one of our goals of  travelling through the length of France from Strasbourg to the Mediterranean. It is the first time for both of us to visit the south of France.

The graceful elegance of Sete with its artistic core, a vibrant fishing port with a canal down the centre of the historic centre and  beautiful beaches has more than lived up to our expectations.

The family run. Hotel Le National is situated beside the Opera House and is well run by the father and his son. The rooms are incredibly spacious with a small terrace overlooking the opera house and this solid old building is so quiet, that we even wondered at times if we were the only people staying there. 

Personal family touches of the vintage bike and photos and seeing machine added character to this hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The father and his son (thanks for your excellent English) were gracious and hospitable. They even gave Seavo a space in the lobby for the night.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Opera House, Sete
Heart 1 Comment 0
A close up of the stonework on the front of the Opera House.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The ride along the spit on a dedicated paved bike route is memorable with very little commercialism or condos - just parking, access paths to the beach and dunes. The map shows the first part of our day out of Sete to Adge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sete historic centre is flanked by apartments and shops on either side of the canal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sete is a vibrant waterfront town with many fishing boats and traditional rowboats. Tourists can try the rowboats on the canal.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry made me laugh when he asked me if I ever get tired of people watching us. I looked up and he was referring to this mannequin, so he went over to introduce himself.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It requires 3 pairs of rowers a d they had to work hard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oh France, we will miss your exquisite bakeries. We shared a savoury tart and a quiche, as well as an apple pastry for,dessert.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sete has mosaic signs on the bike lane for bikes and pedestrians - a nice touch.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Along the bike route out of Sete we were impressed to see this mirrored art piece of the Mediterranean looking out to sea by the bike path. We took our picture as we rode by and you can see Barry waving. Looking at the photo now, it seems prophetic as it looks to me like he is pointing at the next part of our journey, Sardinia and mainland Italy.
Heart 2 Comment 0
One of beautiful secluded beaches of the coast by Sete.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This low key access to the beach is typical of this area. However, in a month it will probably be overflowing with visitors.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Growing in the dunes were masses of this succulent in bloom.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back to Sete from the spit. It is so narrow, that there is only room for a small road, parking and the bike path. Spectacular.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 1,826 km (1,134 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0