Riding the Eurovelo 6, seven Years Later - A Grand 3 Month European Tour on an E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

May 7, 2018

Riding the Eurovelo 6, seven Years Later

Montbeliard to Baume-les-Dames

Today was another good day. Quel surprise?!  We are in France in the spring after all.

Hotel Kyriad fit our criteria - it was inexpensive and the wifi had a good rating for reliability. First to the inexpensive bit - it was reduced by over 20 euros on booking.com, but we couldn’t figure out if they could safely store our bike - so we asked the young man who checked us in if he could honour their price and explained why we hadn’t precooked. After some encouragement, he agreed to the reduction, but then when it came time to pay, he asked for 5 euros for our bike. It turns out that their parking is either in an open lot or you pay 5 euros for your own private lockable garage. Now, Seavo doesn’t ask for much - just expensive maintenance! and his faithful companion Buster - so we thought, if we get our own room, so should Seavo. So we agreed - we really had no choice. And still the price was very good. Also, the wifi was as fast as it is at home, so it allowed us to get the past 3 days of the journal up to date without the usual hand-wringing of fighting dodgy internet. The room was ok but the big problem was the bathroom.  Stepping in to the shower was super hot with no cold. It turns out that there is a problem generally. They turned some switch, and it was better, but if you stayed in the shower for very long, it was unbearably hot. 

Despite our griping, we both had a good sleep and we are super relieved to have our journal up to date. It feels like it is going to be a scorcher again today.

Heart 0 Comment 0
School kids out for a field trip - perhaps to the castle.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Montebeliard Castle

Heart 0 Comment 0

We liked the chicken on top of this statue.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The ivy covering this house caught our eye.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Barry riding solo in Montebeliard while I was taking some photos.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We are riding along the beautiful Le Doubs River as seen below.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We love the Dogwood tree as it is very emblematic of our province, British Columbia. We didn’t expect to see Dogwood trees in France, and here is one below in a park.

Heart 0 Comment 0

A motorized walk along bike.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We watched this heron land on the bridge ahead of us - like all herons he prefers solitude and as we approached he left as quickly as he could. What a beautiful bird with an anzi big wingspan. Once again, we are reminded of home as the Great Blue Heron is a familiar sight on the coast of British Columbia.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Long, flat river boats are common along these canals and rivers.

Heart 0 Comment 0

What a beautiful roof on this historic home.

Heart 1 Comment 0

We liked the view of the river from the bridge as we were able to appreciate how people live, perched above the water. Fishing is a passion for French people, and perhaps the people in these home enjoy it from their back deck.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We found a perfect spot for our picnic lunch along the river in the shade.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Cows are a regular part of the landscape here. Like with all animals, we enjoy stopping and giving them sone attention and head rubs if they are so inclined.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 845 km (525 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0