Our Annual Ride to the Best Bakery in Hessen - A Grand 3 Month European Tour on an E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

April 22, 2018

Our Annual Ride to the Best Bakery in Hessen

Since arriving in Germany, we have experienced extraordinary weather - full sun and mid to high 20’s. It is just what we have been craving through our long, dark and rainy winter at home. Since Seavo is now fully functional and benefitting from some new parts, we are enjoying riding everyday in this beautiful region of Hessen.

The area is primarily rural, with many hills and villages nestled in the valleys often only a few km apart. The riding here is exceptional as a multitude of riding routes criss cross the countryside and when necessary, secondary roads are possible to ride on as well. There are so many options of routes to take when considering a destination. 

Today, we will be riding with Cora, Georg and Clara to Westerburg, a village about 20 km away to make our annual trek to a most excellent Konditorei/Bakery called Garcia’s where we will have cake and coffee. Their display case is always bursting with tantalizing choices of decadent house made cakes. Yum.

Spring is a time of such promise and beauty - just as we see in this young calf at a nearby farm.
Heart 2 Comment 0
An unusual farmhouse
Heart 2 Comment 1
Felicity MagillWe just loved the European architecture, so different from here in Tasmania.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

We are at Garcia’s - George is protecting his piece of cake from Barry. The bottom left photo shows our choice of apple caramel cake and huckleberry layer cake with meringue topping - delicious.

Heart 2 Comment 0

.

Happily full from coffee and cake, the peloton is ready to ride again
Heart 1 Comment 0
We will be riding for the next while on a former rail line. Clara and Georg enjoying the view and a break from the hills.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We got home just in time to avoid a thunder storm. We watched the skies become dark, we could hear thunder in the distance and soon the rains came.  Hot showers for all, a great dinner and home made cake by Cora, gave us a fitting closing to a wonderful day.

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 120 km (75 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesWe agree with you. Riding in Europe is so great, and the bakeries are just the icing on the cake ~ hahaha.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Barry BartlettGood one Steve. It is a relief to have had some good and challenging rides the past few days to test our bike. We leave tomorrow to start riding the Rhine south from Koblenz.
Enjoying your progress in France - your tips are appreciated.
Mary Ellen and Barry
(Your friends, Max and Erika have been in touch as well and we have shared experiences we had in Limburg.)
Reply to this comment
5 years ago