Heading for the Alsace Wine Route Via Strasbourg - A Grand 3 Month European Tour on an E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

May 2, 2018

Heading for the Alsace Wine Route Via Strasbourg

As we feared it was very cold through the night. Once again we had to wear everything we had, including our down coats. On cold nights like this I am glad we have a double sleeping bag as we keep each other warm. We have loved our Nemo quilt style sleeping bag - incredibly light and compressible, but packed with warm down.  As everything was closed yesterday, Barry got up early and rode our bike to the bakery in town and surprised me with all of these goodies and hot coffee.  Merci Barry!!

Heart 1 Comment 0

We need to have our spokes tightened and checked on the new rear wheel that Pacak built - and they are good.  However, the new Shimano brakes on the front are very soft and mushy, as well as the rear brakes - this bike shop took care of these issues very efficiently and with much friendliness, despite the different languages we speak.

Heart 0 Comment 0

What a spectacular ride we are having to Strasbourg. The forest is beautiful and the bike path is lovely. What a good day of riding this is. We dream about days like this when we are at home in Canada. Barry has been super worried about our brakes, so he is enjoying the ride so much more as well.We 

Heart 3 Comment 1

We have made it to Strasbourg and we like what we see. There is a grace to this city - wide streets, many squares, gracious old apartment buildings with wrought iron balconies and wonderful historical architecture. Note Dame Cathedral is an iconic landmark for this city and it was the tallest church in Europe until the 1900’s. Many people came up to us to ask about our journey and our bike. We really enjoyed talking to this group from the Loire region and the young woman is originally from Malaysia.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Barry climbed the 332 steps on a spiral staircase to the top of the tower for this panoramic view of the city. I stayed below to watch the bike. We have climbed many church towers, but this was the steepest and hardest. He said that he (like many others) counted the steps to motivate him to continue.  It probably didn’t help that he was in his cycling shoes with cleats. Now he has a bit of a kinship with women who climb these towers in heels.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Notre Dame is considered one of the most beautiful Gothic cathedrals in Europe. Over 4 million people a year visit here.  Completed in 1439  and the process took 400 years. Just standing and looking at the detail on the exterior is mind boggling.

The astrological clock is significant in that it is over 300 years old and continues to function well. A large  crowd gathered to watch the show it gives at  half past noon, where different figures parade past death as you can see below.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The stained glass is from the 12th and 14th century, and it is beautiful. Also, note the beautiful housing for the pipes of the organ on the left of the church below.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The panoramic view from the top was stunning - with views of the rooftops of Strasbourg and stretching as far as Vosges and the Black Forest in Germany.  

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Riding along the Canal de Bruche out of Strasbourg to Molsheim (our destination for tonight) is as perfect a ride as we can imagine. The cycle way is excellent and the views of the villages and canal houses is worthwhile to see. This canal is 20 km long and was used to

Heart 0 Comment 0

Canal de  BRuche with 11 locks was designed to ship sandstones from the quarries of “Shultz-les-Bain’s” to Strasbourg for its fortifications. This former tow path is now a cycle route and it is lovely.

Heart 0 Comment 0

One of the frequent canal lock houses along the Canal de Bruche.

Heart 0 Comment 0

These cows were enjoying the canal as well, and a bit of shade.

Heart 1 Comment 0

This was so magical coming upon this group of horses with 13 young playful foals.

Heart 1 Comment 0

One of the momma’s is checking us out warily as the foals play behind her.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Naturally we had to stop and take the time to enjoy this wonderful sight.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The little guy on the left was full of beans and would take off at full gallop  and run back and forth, kicking and bucking when the excitement became a bit too much.

Heart 2 Comment 0

French towns are rated on the number of flowers for its beauty. Even though this village is only a 2 flour village, it was still pretty nice.

One can never shake the mystical feeling that you are stepping into history as you look at and enter through fortified gates like these. The only difference is that we would be entering on horseback instead of on Seavo. 

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 46 km (29 miles)
Total: 592 km (368 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0