Extreme weather and no brakes...our version of a cyclist’s lament in Dole - A Grand 3 Month European Tour on an E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

May 9, 2018

Extreme weather and no brakes...our version of a cyclist’s lament in Dole

Camping Municipal Peuplier in Fraisans is a rustic 2 star campground with limited facilities but it offers a super location bordered by farmland and a great view of this old village across the river. Plus, we were the only campers, so we had the complete area to ourselves. It rained most of the night, but we were snug and comfy in our tent and awoke to a cool but fresh morning. Barry walked to the village and got some yummy pastries for breakfast and the day while I broke camp.

Our ride today was truly beautiful along the Doubs River. Towering limestone cliffs, lush growth alongside the canal with wildflowers tumbling over the water and the occasional deviation from the river into the hills and farmland where we were entertained by cattle and sheep with their young lambs and calves.

We met interesting people - a group from N Ireland with vintage Citroens on their way to Besancon for a 5 day rally of over 3,000 2CV enthusiasts, as well as a group from Speyer, Germany (where we stayed for Spezi -what a small world), who were cycling together along EV6 for an annual celebration with their twin city in France. 

The downside of the day was the realization that we no longer had any front brakes. Yes, that’s right....no brakes!! The new Shimano disk brakes that we had installed before this trip have been giving us problems after a few weeks of riding and they have required tweaking by mechanics  The last few days we have noticed that they are  deteriorating again and getting more mushy. We have been riding through tiny villages which lack bike shops and have been determined to make it to Dole which is a larger city. As it turns out there is only one bike shop here, and as luck will have it, Bulles Cycles which is located just out of Dole in Choisey,  is a great shop  with excellent mechanics. The second critical part of the puzzle is that tomorrow is a National Holiday in France and if we don’t find a solution today, we will be stranded here until Friday.  Remi the owner, made it his mission to help us  and kindly found time for the job to be done before closing. Like yesterday when we kept riding to keep ahead of the thunder storm in Besancon, we had hoped today  to ride about 30km beyond Dole to escape the predicted storm for tonight. As we had lost half the day with bike problems, we quickly found a room at a Budget Ibis across the road from the bike shop  and waited for Seavo to be made road worthy again.

The decision we made was to change from mechanical to hydraulic disk brakes on the front - and why not, we’ve tried everything else. The feeling was that we needed a better brake on the front and this model is a superior option. Falince the  mechanic (I hope I have spelled it right) and his apprentice, Matheo, gave us great service and we left feeling a renewed confidence in our bike.

And regarding the weather, we are so lucky that we chose to stay put as the thunder and lightning rain storm is fierce and unrelenting. The rain is pelting down, flooding the parking lot. 

So, all in all, we have ended up having a great day. We met interesting people, were entertained by farm animals, saw beautiful scenery, gave Seavo some mechanical love and have escaped a nasty storm.

Bon nuit. We are tired but happy to be inside.

 

Municipal Campground, Fraisans - a campground all to ourselves, along with the resident dog and the view of the village across the river.
Heart 1 Comment 0
These sheep are part of the reason we don’t go farther in a day. When we stopped and rang our bike bell, they came running. The little one on the top left was the first brave, curious lamb to come and then they all wanted head rubs and grass. We were very amused by the queue to get in the electrical tower as it was the only place where they could scratch their heads and don’t you love the wee black lamb with his mother? This one was full of beans, running and hopping as only young lambs can do.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The convoy of vintage Citroens on their way to Besancon and the rally for fellow 2CV enthusiasts.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Dole Cathedral. We would love to stop and visit, but our mission is to get to the Tourist Office and find out the location of a good bike shop to fix our brakes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A glorious ride today along the Doubs with an impressive stand of Plane Trees along the route.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This mural depicts the women and men who have had an impact on the city and history of Dole. A few of note are Louis Pasteur and the fictional green horse of the book, The Green Mare (1933). The man coming out of the wall owned this building in the 18th century and wrote a manuscript recording all of the pharmaceutical practices of the 1700’s.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Speyer and Romerberg gang - a happy group. They were so excited when they found out that we had stayed at Zum Engel Landgasthof as they had attended a Christmas gathering there last year. The woman in green lives in the same village. Such fun talking to them.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Raymond and Anna from Düsseldorf are touring along the EV6. What a social day we have had..nice people and many farm animals.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are pretty sure that Seavo was the first opportunity Falince and Matheo have had to work on a bike like this. They took on the challenge and did a great job. Falince even adjusted the rear BB7 disc brake and it feels so much better.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A happy solution to a pesky and stressful situation. Merci beaucoup, Falince and Matheo!
Heart 0 Comment 0
And last but not least, Remi the owner of Bulle Cycle, who saved the day by making it happen. We appreciated his patience in helping us understand hydraulic brakes, making time in their busy schedule to fix our bike and most of all his great manner and sense of humour. Happy fishing Remi tomorrow on the holiday.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Happily for us, there was an impressive bakery next door to the bike shop where we took solace while they worked on the bike. This baker was a master and lightning fast. We bought a nut filled baguette - yum.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 35 km (22 miles)
Total: 956 km (594 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesHi guys, I am stuffed under a shopping cart shelter in the rain, waiting for Dodie in Super U. Super U, gotta love 'em - open on Ascension. ... oops, she's back, I will have to post my actual comment tonight!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago