Continuing along the coast to Port Leucate - A Grand 3 Month European Tour on an E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

May 27, 2018

Continuing along the coast to Port Leucate

The  weather continues to influence our decisions and our stamina as well as the dearth of tent camping sites. High humidity and rain/thunder are part of our daily travel these days and it is  getting to us. We were not having success finding a suitable place to stay and on an impulse, we followed a sign for Chambre d’Hotes off the route and ended up in Salles d’Aude. Barry came back to the bike with happy news: 45€ for a room with a big bathtub ensuite (yeah, it has been awhile since we have seen a tub) and breakfast. We were hot, tired and sweaty - a good solution. 

We didn’t leave our room- both had long soaks in the tub, a cold supper in our room, watched Outlander from Netflix and had an early night

We continually find that we meet interesting and kind people in our travels. This couple, our hosts at the Gite were lovely and keen to give us tips for things to see on the route ahead.
Heart 0 Comment 0

P

In Narbonne, we had a great visit with this couple from Belgium. They have also done many cycling tours and divide their time between Belgium and France. A nice life.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Narbonne is a very pretty city with an interesting historic centre.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Clock tower of the very old church in Narbonne..
Heart 2 Comment 0
City square in Narbonne. Roman roots are evident here with an excavated section of the Roman road below the square.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Via Domitia - the ancient Roman road
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
An eye catching way to indicate that fresh olive oil is available now!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Stopping for a break, I couldn’t resist a photo of some wildflowers alongside the trail.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rape is in full bloom and we love how common palm trees are now.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The area south of Narbonne is a protected natural site with salt flats, a narrow spit with a cycle path and a canal. The surface for riding was pretty rough and the mosquitoes were not kind to us, but it was a unique ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As you can see, the route is narrow and one way. At one point, we considered turning around, but once you begin, you are committed.
Heart 2 Comment 0
At this point there are 3 bodies of water: the high level lake to our left, canal to our right and a second lake beyond that. We are glad we rode this Section as it was interesting to see, but if we returned to this area, we would find a D road.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The well maintained canal boat is also a floating home.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This crazy little guy was pretty excited to be out for a bike ride, and it turns out that the real payoff is when he gets to run free.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The view from our hotel room.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 70 km (43 miles)
Total: 1,896 km (1,177 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0