Cold, Cold,Cold! - A Grand 3 Month European Tour on an E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

May 1, 2018

Cold, Cold,Cold!

We seem to have good instincts in the choices we make in accomodation, or perhaps just lucky.  Pension Rheinperle was wonderfully outfitted with thoughtful touches and everything we could hope for, including a fully stocked kitchen. Warmth, no wind, a comfy bed and we slept very well, grateful to be out of the elements.

Breakfast was brought to us in our kitchen and it was so good. Below are a few pictures of what we had - including fresh strawberries, yogurt, granola and a fruit platter. 

Heart 1 Comment 0

And, forgot to mention, eggs...and juice...and 2 pots of coffee..

Heart 0 Comment 0

Our genial and welcoming host took good care of us.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

A charming half timbered home in Neuburg am Rhein with decorative mosaics.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We had to stop and get warmer clothes out of the trailer -  it is so cold. You know it’s serious when the down jackets, rain pants and gloves come out.

Heart 1 Comment 0

This is going to be an interesting day as we will be criss crossing in and out of Germany and France. This will be the only time that there will be a sign, so we will be keeping an eye on license plates and signage in villages. The names of the town are mostly German names, but this doesn’t help as this area has changed its borders through its history.

We are on the Rhein Radweg, Eurovel 15 and we have now realized that we won’t make it to Strasbourg today as it will be another 70 km. Oh well, it will wait for us when we canget there tomorrow. So where will we end up today? We love that we don’t usually know where we will end up and that is part of our adventure.that  Having our camping gear with us this year gives us even more flexibility.  The wind is not as bad today, but it remains very cold so we’ll try to find camping for tonight.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We are in France!!

Heart 0 Comment 0

A fellow recumbent bike tourer - these recumbents really take a curve nicely.

Heart 2 Comment 0

We are in France and fishing is such an important pastime. We are seeing these fishermen in many of the villages along the Rhine.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We like the look  of this French fisherman on the edge of the roof. His moustache gives Poirot a “run for his money”.

Heart 0 Comment 0

These guys have the right idea for a national holiday - a bit of fishing, some beer, music and a barbecue. 

Heart 1 Comment 0

These long flat boats are distinctive for this region. There were so many swans enjoying the day.

Heart 1 Comment 0

We ended up camping at Gambsheim at a Municipal campground. There are so many things we love about travelling in France, and their municipal campgrounds are part of it. They are always conveniently situated in town, have the necessary amenities - like hot showers and good bathrooms - and they are very inexpensive. For the two of us, it cost just 10 euros and they included the loan of a special power cord for our e-bike battery. Municipal Camping Gambsheim is located in a very pretty location on a lake and today is the first day it is open for the year - lucky for us!!

The late afternoon sun is very pretty on these tall grasses in the lake.

Heart 3 Comment 0

Camp is ready to enjoy. It feels so good to have the tent prepared and the Helios ground chairs assembled for relaxing. It feels like it will be a cold night.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 57 km (35 miles)
Total: 546 km (339 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0