Camping at St.Goar to Mainz - A Grand 3 Month European Tour on an E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

April 25, 2018

Camping at St.Goar to Mainz

Yesterday was a pleasant surprise, as we rode better and stronger than we had expected. Guess the body really does have muscle memory!

A wind was our constant companion along the river route yesterday and today which made us feel pretty tired by the time we stopped. Nonetheless, we had a great day of riding and were happy to stop at the campground outside of St. Goar. This campground has a unique approach to bathrooms. As well as the usual large block of showers, toilets, etc., they have taken the innovative approach of providing about 10 single bathrooms spread out along another section. We chose to camp in this area on a higher terrace, away from the wind (we thought) and close to one of these individual bathrooms. It was luxury - a dressing area, a shower, toilet and sink with soap and towels. But best of all was the tiled heated floor. 

We were so cold from our ride and the wind at the campsite - it felt like the best part of the day when we stepped out of the shower on to a warm floor. Thank you Campingplatz Lorelyblick.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Barry is the chief cook and coffee maker at camp...and that makes me pretty lucky.

Heart 3 Comment 0

Is there anything better than a fresh, hot cup of Aeropress coffee on a cold, windy morning at camp?

Heart 1 Comment 0

Breaking camp at Campingplatz Loreleyblick. Note the wonderful single bathrooms along the left.

Heart 1 Comment 1
Felicity MagillWe must remember this spot, thanks for the info. :)
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

We have enjoyed camping here across from the Lorelei rocks - despite the trains behind us and the wind in front.

Heart 0 Comment 0

.        

The famous Lorelei rocks - it is amusing to watch cruise ships and tour boats come by as everyone is on one side of the ship looking at the cliffs and then the boat turns around. This is our view from the campground.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We like this castle in the middle of the river on a small islet
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We see many river cruise boats and working boats on the Rhine. Here is a nice looking Viking ship.
Heart 1 Comment 0
‘’This very old village is very picturesque with much of the medieval wall in place, charming half timbered buildings and the imposing impressive castle above.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Yikes, gates, construction and detours are not our friends with a fully loaded tandem..
Heart 1 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesWe passed through a section the last few days with frequent really tight barriers and every time we commented on how hard it would be to go through them with a tandem.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Barry BartlettYou are so right.
And today we hit a few bad spots in the industrial area by Mannheim. After having just met a couple of French riders on their trikes (also on their way to the Spezi), we both thought how hard it would be on a trike,
Tomorrow, we go to the Spezi. Stay tuned for some weird and wonderful bikes.
Mary Ellen
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
The approach in to Mainz is a bit of a shock. We have been riding through bucolic countryside with medieval castles and villages, abd suddenly we are riding through an industrial wasteland with lots of traffic. Nonetheless, we still love it here as bicycle lanes and signage on the route to give us a safe way to get through the congestion. This building is very interesting with wind energy on the roof.
Heart 2 Comment 0
More industry - and the weather is not turning in our favour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mainz centre
Heart 0 Comment 0
We loved touring Mainz about 3 years ago - the Gutenburg museum and the church featuring original stained glass by Chagall are outstanding. Today we will just look around and get to camp. The weather looks ominous and the wind is wearing us down.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mainz - the rain is beginning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Once we got the tent up, the sun came out, so we enjoyed a beer and chips at camp. It is so cold - we are wearing everything we have with us to fight the wind.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 243 km (151 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0