Baume les Dames to Fraisans - A Grand 3 Month European Tour on an E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

May 8, 2018

Baume les Dames to Fraisans

Camping-the Good and the Bad

Well, a three star rating for a campground is not always a good reflection of the experience you will have. Earlier in Guebwiller, we camped at Le Florival, and this 3*campground set the bar high with excellent facilities, a comfortable club room with wifi and good staff with security through the night. At Domaine d’Aucroix, the facilities were adequate, the club room was locked as the staff are not onsite most of the time but the real problem is the large number of cabins they have added and there is no staffing on to handle problems if they arise. 

The campground was not very busy as it is early May, and unfortunately we were put in a spot close to a cabin. The noise of arguing and people drinking too much kept us awake and then at 5 am it began all over again when they returned from a bar. Luckily we keep ear plugs in our tent, but it still bothered us. 

Not a well rested camper - hands on hips are a giveaway sign!! The cabin in question is right behind Mary Ellen. As an aside, we find that campers (tenters and motor homes)are quiet and considerate in Europe.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesDodie has been known to exit the tent to "yell at" late night noisy partiers, but only when we are in a country where we can speak the language, ie France.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Barry BartlettOh dear, I guess we can’t leave Germany. Our high school French let’s me down when I need to be spontaneous.
Did you continue to have rain thru the day?
Regarding France and religious holidays like today-Ascension Day- the hotel told us today that yes, people believe in God but most leave their stores open anyway.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
You might think that Barry is hazy from a bad night’s sleep, but the camera setting is not right. Next time, we will give this campground a miss.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A 13% gradient downhill was fun for Barry. As we are a bit worried about our brakes, I thought it best if he rode alone and let it fly.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oh the Doubs River just keeps on giving....we really love it here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The weather has been extremely hot with some humidity. These smart cows were heading for the river to cool off. They are standing knee deep finding relief.
Heart 2 Comment 0
What a sweet wee van - beautifully restored with bike runners in the back of the van to transport 2 bikes. We have been seeing quite a few of this type of vehicle in this region - there must be a gathering nearby.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Approaching Besancon through the tunnel - some déjà vu from our ride through this very tunnel 7 years ago - just like before, we are being plagued with an approaching storm. Last time we took refuge in the tourist office and found a hotel but this time we are moving on to escape the thunder storm on the horizon. La Citadelle tunnel goes beneath the fortress above and this underground canal shares a bike path and a narrow way for marine traffic.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Both times that we have visited Besancon and this area, bad weather has been our experience - is it just us? Today we were able to ride below the black skies and stay ahead of the storm and reached Fraisans and the Municipal Campground there. We may get some showers tonight, but the thunder is behind us. Yeah!!

Pizza Roma, Fraisans, was the only business open in the village so we decided to share a pizza - really good pizza and served with charm by the owner and his chef.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 76 km (47 miles)
Total: 921 km (572 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0