A Rest Day in Molsheim - A Grand 3 Month European Tour on an E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

May 3, 2018

A Rest Day in Molsheim

Well, we decided when we entered Molsheim, that we needed to stay in a hotel/guesthouse where we could get good internet and take care of some organizational details. The wifi connections have been spotty at best for several days and we are very behind. Plus we need a good nights sleep out of the cold.

Booking.com is always useful for researching the best deals and well rated places to stay. It is handy to be a stoker without needing to hold on to the bike, so as we rode I checked out our choices and we decided on the Logis, Hotel du Centre - situated squarely in the centre of Molsheim’s old square.  The crowning touch was being greeted by 3 cats and a small dog upon our arrival. We clearly chose well!

The Italian, Ettore Bugatti came to Molsheim in the early 1900’s and stayed, creating a tremendous legacy for his name and the town of Molsheim with his creation of the legendary racing cars which reached the speed of over 200 km/hour and won innumerable races.The The 

Heart 0 Comment 0

The Grand Prix racing car  from 1924 is effectively mounted in a water feature. Bugatti is a favoured adopted son of this region and town.

Heart 0 Comment 0

This mysterious looking guy is one of the cats who call the hotel courtyard home. He has life figured out pretty well as he has figured out how to jump from a tree to the medieval wall bordering the property and then he curls up to watch the world go by.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Like our friend, the grey cat above, we are enjoying a laid back day in Molsheim. This very pretty, low key village is full of history, interesting buildings and great bakeries. We have had a great time, going for a walking tour of the village, getting some jobs done and getting the journal up to date.

When we awoke this morning, we both had the same thought to stay a second night and have a day off to relax and get jobs done.

It has taken us some experience in travelling, to recognize when we need to have a day away from cycling  and “smell the roses”. It has been that kind of day, and we feel  recharged and ready to go tomorow.

The Metzig, shown below, was built in 1525 for the Butcher’s Build and is a superb example of Renaissance architecture. It has a place of prominence in the town square and has an impressive impact.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The Hotel de Ville (town hall) is on the other side of the town square. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

A view of the vineyards of Molsheim, primarily Riesling, Pinot Gris and Gewurztraminer.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We found a superb bakery across from the hotel and we are sharing the Banneton below (filled with bacon, mushrooms and ?). It is so delicious and dense with flavours.

Heart 2 Comment 0

We also shared this Alsatian salad plate for lunch - yummy flavours and delicately seasoned. Grated celeriac rabe salads potato salad with bacon, carrot and couscous topped with a house made meat pie with delicate pastry - wow!!

Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0