West of Maria's Pass: Glacier View Campground - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

September 18, 2007

West of Maria's Pass: Glacier View Campground

After coming through East Glacier, we know of a forest campground (that might be closed) after the summit of Maria's Pass. Just as we were wondering when we would get to it, there is an RV Park!! and we know hot showers!! We settle in.

The day is about climbing!! and beautiful fall colors. We start with a long climb out of West Glacier. This climbing much longer than Rachel remembers from 12 years ago when we cycled this on our honeymoon. Then we were not able to cross into Canada and ride the Icefield Parkway because paperwork for Patrick to have a green card to stay in America. He entered on a tourist visa before we married, if he left the country he would not be allowed back in until the paperwork was completed.

It's a blessing in disguise that we couldn't go the Going to the Sun route. The scenery and fall colors are spectacular! After the 5 mile climb we descend some to the junction of US 49. There is a cafe that has empty shelves due to "end of season." We have a coke and muffins and then start the climb from Kiowa. It's long and somewhat steep but we can get into a rhythm for climbing, unlike the rolling hills.

Finally reaching East Glacier, we stop for hot chocolate and Rachel makes ham and cheese sandwiches for lunch. There is more here than expected, like Cooke City out of Yellowstone. Then the final gradual climb over Maria's Pass and to the Glacier View Campground. Once the tent is pitched, we have hot coffee and soup and chocolate chip cookies. Always nice to have a hot shower at the end of the day, and we see another dark cloud on the horizon. We are not done yet with the daily rains.

We take our supper stuff to the shelter, enjoy a beer Patrick has carried before dinner and the wine with dinner of noodles, tuna and corn. The temperature is 8C so we seek comfort and warmth in the tent. Rachel was able to leave a message to Laura last night, we should be in Missoula on Saturday!

The days are counting down when our journey on the road ends and we will be home...and our reality shifts once again.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 80 km (50 miles)
Total: 14,822 km (9,204 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0