To Yogyakarta: Another ride by mini bus - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

September 27, 2006

To Yogyakarta: Another ride by mini bus

We are up and ready by 7:30. Patrick even though sick has prepared the bikes by turning the handlebars, front wheel off and pedals off. It's 8:00 we wait, 8:15 and wait, by 8:30 Patrick checks with the front desk to call the bus company.

They finally arrive at 8:45, bikes are loaded in the back, gear in the back 3 seats and we take 2 seats behind the driver. We go to the bus company office; Patrick pays the rest of the fee, and we are off by 9:00. Patrick is sick feeling like how Rachel felt yesterday. It's good that we are in an air conditioned bus with nice seats and tinted glass. Somewhat insulated from the noise outside, though our driver continually beeps his horn. Rachel says she thought the French were not able to drive without honking, though their use of the horn seems more random. Indonesian honking is a communication ritual.

Visually, watching the road is as exhausting as being on the side of the road cycling. The route took us from Blitar-Kediri-Madiun-Solo-Yogyakarta arriving to Hotel Asia-Afrika at 4:00pm. A 7-hour ride with a 45-minute lunch stop for our driver to pray and eat. Muslims travelling can eat during the day during Ramadan. Drivers were changed every 1 1/2 to 2 hours to stay fresh for the chaos on the road.

The security guard helps us unload and carry our gear and bikes to the room. Past the reception desk in the center of the garden is the dining area and a small swimming pool. We are happy to be in a room. Patrick sleeps, Rachel goes in search of water, cheese and crackers. There is an internet place next door...something to do tomorrow.

This morning Patrick is sick...we check out of the hotel and take another ride
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0