To Yak Pasture Free Camp: showing locals the map of Tibet - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

April 8, 2007

To Yak Pasture Free Camp: showing locals the map of Tibet

We set up camp today 10kms over the pass amongst juniper shrubs, pine and aspen trees and grass. We share the site at present with 2 men and an elderly woman spinning a prayer wheel and with a young boy. A young man with prayer beads join us. We think this is their pasture with their yaks. They sit only a few feet away from us talking amongst themselves and staring at us. We are enjoying the views down the valley, not sure how long they plan to stay.

We are curious about each other.

The day starts with us seeing 2-3 dozen green parrots fly in mass from one tree to the next. The mountains are clouded in, so we are lucky that last night we had awesome views. We slept for 12 hours, up later than usual and on the road by 9am. We are able to cycle today, the road construction continues the road surface though is mostly hardpacked, occasionally having to walk short distances through construction or stop to let trucks pass on narrow stretches.

Patrick stops to wait for me usually by road construction camps, hoping for a repeat of a meal invitation, doesn't happen today. Rachel thinks it's a lesson in Karma and Buddhism--getting rid of desire. When we didn't desire, we were invited many times with offers of food, drink; when we hoped, it didn't happen.

The climb to the top of the Hungla Pass (4248 meters) took 3 to 3 1/2 hours; the descent to the camping spot, 1 1/2 hours. We had to push the bikes up to the camp spot, the extra work is worth it. Our visitors stayed about a half hour, leaving at 430pm, they all walk off in different directions--probably to round up their yaks. Patrick had shown them the map of Tibet and tried to explain the DVD burner they saw, and the camping stove.

In the village we passed through on the way to the summit, Patrick stopped to take pictures and saw a shop. When we arrived at camp, he said "What would make this perfect is a beer..." and pulled out of his bags 2 bottles of Snow beer, he had carried them over the pass for a treat tonight.

What a sweetheart!

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stopping at a construction crew site...no invite this time
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Filtering water in preparation to finding a camping spot
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roadside shop
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The summit with prayer flags
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Showing the locals where we are on the map
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's cold.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 26 km (16 miles)
Total: 7,672 km (4,764 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0