To Whitehorse: Joel and Sarah Macht - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

August 3, 2007

To Whitehorse: Joel and Sarah Macht

All the roadside signs advertising food and gas stations indicate we are getting close to Whitehorse. One after the other starting about 15km out.

The day starts with a beautiful...dry...morning. Patrick says, "this is the first in a long while I've packed a dry tent." There is a 3km climb back to the Alcan Highway, the road continues to be rolling. About 12:30 we are climbing just a few kms from town and we see 2 cyclists going the other way. They stop and come over to us and we talk for about 45 minutes. They are Belgium (Sophie and Nicolas), he studies in Paris, she just finished school, they speak French, some English and she also speaks Dutch. We exchange information about the roads in a combination of languages. We give them information about the North, as they shared their trip from the South.

About 1pm we say goodbye wishing each a safe journey and soon we are on the "2-mile hill" down to Whitehorse. The first stop is at Icycle Bike shop for new tires. It's amazing Patrick's blow out 6 days ago of his front tire with the repair of a dollar and rupiah has worked!! He had to ride on a softer tire, which meant more effort, but we got here without having to take a ride. Patrick buys 2 continental tires, the thinner ones like we had in Indonesia-SE Asia. Also has the wheel bearings in his rear wheel changed out. 

By now it's close to 2pm, so we have a Quiznos sandwich before calling our warmshowers hosts, Joel and Sarah Macht. Joel is not at home when we arrive so Sarah gets us settled in the room. They are expecting friends from Germany but they will camp.

We shower, then decide to go back to town and shop for supplies for the next stretch to Watson Lake. We do well, getting most of the "dry" goods and pick up beer and wine to contribute to tonight's dinner. They make a nice shish kabob, and pasta dish and salad.

We are up late, but it is oh so nice to settle into a bed with a comforter, the room with curtains makes it dark...but most of all...full sized pillows!!

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sharing information
Heart 0 Comment 0
The "boot" in Patrick's tire that got us to Whitehorse
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 82 km (51 miles)
Total: 11,820 km (7,340 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0