To the Arctic Circle: Milepost 115 Last stage to Home begins - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

July 13, 2007

To the Arctic Circle: Milepost 115 Last stage to Home begins

A late start, Tani and one of the Basque Spaniards stayed up watching the sun not set...it just moved laterally.

The muskoxen are still in sight and again there is a hunt for a close up shot. We see a moose and calf and Patrick warns the Spaniards that the moose is the most dangerous animal especially with a calf and not to get too close. 

The cab of the truck is inundated with mosquitoes every time the door is opened. Rachel is still mourning that we are not cycling this section. Perhaps this was too close on the heels of Tibet and the Himalayas, and if we had wanted to do the Dalton as much as the Friendship Highway, we would have made it happen. We did not have the supplies to cycle from Deadhorse to the Arctic Circle.

We stop at Coldfoot for gas and we planned to eat a supper. Again the kitchen is closed to small orders and only an $18.95 buffet is available and they are expecting a tour bus. Rachel asks if we could buy only 2 chicken cordon bleu breast and he said, "I'll work with you" (must be an Alaskan phrase), he charged $5 for 2 and we make a sandwich in the parking lot.

We are dropped off at the Arctic Circle, pictures taken, the truck is covered in dried mud and dust; one of the Spaniards scratched in the side "Prudhoe Bay" And Rachel added "or Dust".

We said our goodbyes, exchanged emails and we set up camp.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0