To Tangle lakes BLM Campground: junction of Denali Highway - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

July 2, 2007

To Tangle lakes BLM Campground: junction of Denali Highway

We are up and on the road by 8:30am. Today seems all uphill, well a few downhills but mostly climbing and it is still overcast with some views of Gakona Glacier and many alpine lakes. The wildflowers along the side of the road continue, fewer blue lupine, but many pink fireweed and yellow arnica.

At the junction of Denali Highway we have breakfast. We continue to climb what Patrick thinks is over a moraine, and that's when we get views of the mountain range. We get a bit of a downhill that last a few miles to Tangle lakes. We stop at the Tangle River Inn. People at a table say they've seen us the past 2 days. First at Glenallen and then today. They are originally from Salt Lake City, Utah, now living here at Sourdough Creek and at other times in Lake Tahoe. We have lunch of hamburger and a fish sandwich then cycle on another mile to the campground by the lake. We rest most of the afternoon in the tent, the skies threatening a storm.

Finally for dinner, we have one of the many freeze dried meals Patrick has carried from Anchorage, Beef stroganoff and a Cabernet that Patrick bought at the Inn. We have the Raspberry Chocolate delight for dessert. Then in the tent out of the wind and away from the bugs!!

The campground is where the pavement ends. Tomorrow we start riding on gravel.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 2
Mike AylingWhy do they do it?
Happens in Oz as well.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Mike AylingHi Mike,
It's everywhere!!
Racpat
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 61 km (38 miles)
Total: 10,077 km (6,258 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0